Chapter 29: TASTE OF TRUE POWER (REMNANT part 4)

Picking up the scene where they left off, Ruby and Arcturus just stare with shocked expressions at the woman in front of them. After his performance as Wraith, they were met with the strange figure again. However, she revealed her face to be Summer Rose, Ruby's deceased mother.

Ruby: (tears fall down her face) mom?

Arcturus: Mrs. Rose?

Summer: yes and no. I'm an entity from the Speed Force, sent to help you, Arcturus. I was given this face and form to better help your bond.

Arcturus: but I only met her once when I was a kid. Why choose her face?

Summer: honestly... I don't know. My best guess is that when we first gave you your speed, it showed us one of your most precious memories. Your memory of Ruby. Just how Xion was born, we focus on that memory, and since Ruby's still alive, we choose the next strongest soul.

Ruby: wait, if you look like my mom, do you have her memories?

Summer: no, only her face. (Steps closer to them) I'm sorry if this makes you both uncomfortable.

Arcturus: (looks at Ruby) are you ok?

The truth was, Ruby wasn't sure. There were so many emotions running through her head that she didn't know which one to express. Eventually, she settled to asking her something.

Ruby: is it true that Salem can't be stopped?

Summer: she can. Unfortunately, I can't tell you everything. But, I can say that if you keep fighting and on the road you follow, you will prevail. (Turns to Arc) and Arc, it's true that there's darkness inside all of us, but you don't need to hold it in. Ruby, Lighting and everyone else is here to help carry the weight. In fact, I think you're about ready for your new power.

Arcturus: (remembers it and pulls out the broken Keyblade) I did keep wondering why Roxas gave me this. How do I trigger it?

Summer: I'm sure you'll know what to do. (Expression saddens) I'm afraid this will be the last time we see each other for a while. But remember, let you hearts be your guides, and keep your lights strong.

Ruby finally couldn't take it anymore and hugged the woman. At first, she's a little surprised by the sudden action, but soon smiles and returns the hug. Arc couldn't help but smile a little. Even though she's technically not her real mother, seeing her again must've helped her with her own guilt she's been holding.

Ruby: I love you, mom.

Summer: I love you too, Ruby. (Breaks the hug) good luck, you two.

In that split moment, she disappears and time resumes. Arcturus quickly went to check on Weiss. Unfortunately, he was out of potions and his MP was still recharging. Before he could act, he hears a roar and sees a Grimm-Soulless hybrid.

Raven: what is that?

Cinder: must be one of our mistress's son's pets. It doesn't matter, we have the chance. Leo, open the path to the vault! (They exit)

Nora: stop them!

Narrator (mom): Arcturus runs, but Assassins attacked him and pushed him back towards the others.

Arcturus: (summons Keyblade) you idiots always show up at the worst times!

Jaune: (tries to stop the bleeding) Ren, talk to me!

Ren: this is really bad. She's losing a lot of blood and barely breathing.

Jaune: no, no, no, no not again! Weiss, come on please!