Chapter seven

On Saturday rehearsal got cancelled due to a blizzard. I had a cold, so I stayed in my apartment bundled up on the couch and, surprise, listening to music.

I've got troubled thoughts and a self esteem to match. What a catch.

This song was so slow. And Patrick seemed so sad and lonely in it. For some reason, I couldn't handle the idea of him being sad. So I changed the song quickly.

I am an arms dealer. Do do do. With weapons in the form of words.

Much better, I thought. Patricks voice was much better this way.

I had to stop listening to this band.

I quickly grabbed my iPod and started searching for another song. I eventually settled for Panic! At The Disco's Nine In The Afternoon.

I had only just hit play when someone knocked on my door. Joey had been caught at that girlfriends house. She was pretty I guess. She had blonde hair and blue eyes. Her name was Amy, I thought.

I groaned. I had a headache and didn't feel like getting up.

"Who is it?" I called.

"It's Patrick!" he called back.

Frowning, I called back out to him.

"It's open!" I yelled.

The door opened and in came Patrick. Beside him was joe. "Hey guys," I said.

Patrick, frowning, said, "You shouldn't leave the door unlocked." He said.

"Oh, get over it Patrick." Joe said.

"She's home all by herself." Patrick argued.

"She's obviously fine." Joe said.

"Guys?" I asked.

Patrick glanced at me and then shut the door and locked it.

"Cold?" Joe asked.

I shook my head. "I have a cold." I said.

A worried look passed Patrick's face. "Do you need anything?" He asked.

"I'm fine." I said. "What's going on? What are you guys doing here?"

They came and sat down on the end of the couch. "We came to talk." Joe said.

"About?" I asked.

"About Will." Patrick said.

It had been two days since Will and I fought. How had Patrick and Joe figured it out?

"What about him?" I asked.

"He's been acting weird. What happened between you two?" Patrick asked.

"What makes you think something happened between the two of us?" I demanded.

"He won't touch you anymore. Usually he won't let you go." Joe said.

"Well, we had an argument." I said. "And I don't want to talk about it. "

"That's fine." Joe said. "We just want to make sure he didn't hurt you."

I choked on air. "Hurt me? Will?!" I demanded.

Patrick reached out to touch me, then he hesitated and pulled away. "We don't trust him, Tori." He said.

"And why is that?" I demanded. How could they not trust Will? Nobody knew him better than I did! They could never know!

"He seems like a questionable guy." Patrick said.

"You've barely known him!" I exclaimed.

"Shhh," Patrick said. It didn't sound like he was shushing me, more like soothing me.

I realized why a second later. My hand was clutching my blanket so tightly my knuckles were white. My whole body was tense.

Come to think of it, I was always this tense around Will. I'd always put it down to an upcoming competition, or pressure of dancing, or almost anything else. But, after rehearsal or after competitions, I'd always been keyed up until I was alone. What was that about? Could Patrick and Joe be right about him?

But that didn't make any sense! Will was my friend! He'd always protected me! And until the other day, we'd never fought before. But...maybe I was wrong about him. Because right now, just thinking about him, I was incredibly keyed up.

Suddenly Joe's phone started to ring. "I'll be right back." He said, stepping into the hallway.

Patrick and I were alone.

"Tori, are you alright? You look like you're on the verge of another panic attack." he said.

I looked at him. He'd calmed me down after the whole Evan fiasco, and he was trying to calm me down now.

"I-I think you're right about Will." I said.

He touched my hand. "It's okay." He said. "Everything's gonna be fine."

"I know. Because Will isn't my partner anymore. He quit on me." I said. "He said he was leaving after nationals."

"Why?" Patrick asked.

"Because I don't love him."

He was quiet. "Well, it's not like you could just lie." He said.

I shook my head. Then I sighed and put my head back. "Why is this so hard? Why does life have to be so complicated?" I asked.

"Because life sucks." Patrick said, leaning back beside me.

"You know Patrick, sometimes I miss missing you." I said.

"What? Why?" he asked.

"Because when I was missing you, it was easy. I knew what I was doing, even if it hurt. I have no idea how to deal with life right now." I replied.

We were silent.

"You don't miss me anymore?" Patrick asked finally.

I looked at him. He was grinning.

I smiled back. "How can I? You're right here." I asked. I poked him in the arm.

Our eyes met.

I wasn't sure who leaned in, but suddenly we were kissing.

This time was different. This time I didn't want to pull away. This time, I wanted him to stay forever.

That's when the door opened.

We pulled away quickly. Luckily, Joe was on his phone, so he saw nothing.

"Hey, Patrick. We've gotta go, man. Pete said there's some sort of band emergency." He said.

Patrick stared at me for a moment. His skin was flushed red.

Then he stood up. "Alright. Bye, Tori." He said.

I gulped. "Bye."