Chapter twenty nine

Pete's POV

Tori and I searched for days. But Patrick was nowhere to be found. I was starting to lose hope. What if he was dead?

Tori was soundly sleeping in the seat next to me. God. This was killing her. And me too, because Patrick was my best friend. But I had to admit, in the darkness of my own parked car in the middle of the night, I was having to deal with a wicked crush on this girl. I'd always liked her, but it wasn't like I was in love with her.

Was I?

Tori's POV

"Do you, Tori Charlotte Eaton, take Patrick to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The minister asked.

I smiled. "I do." I said.

"And do you Patrick Vaughn Stump, take Tori to be your lawfully wedded wife?" He asked Patrick.

Patrick was smiling, and his eyes were shining. "I d-" he was cut off by a loud band.

His hands slipped out of mine, and he landed on the floor. People screamed, the minister grabbed me and tried to pull me away, but I was on my knees beside Patrick. i ran my hands over his face, and then through his hair.

They came away bloody.

"So sorry, Tori." Will said, appearing next to me.

"But we couldn't let you marry him." Evan finished from behind the minister.

I looked down. Patricks eyes were closed and he wasn't breathing.

I screamed.

"Patrick!"

I began trying to shake him, but my vision was blurring and going dark.

"No! Patrick! Please!" I screamed.

"Tori!" I heard.

I couldn't see anything. I suddenly realized that their were arms around me, but they weren't Patricks.

"Tori, it was just a dream. It's okay. I'm here." He said.

It was Pete.

I broke down in sobs and buried my head against his chest. That was the worst nightmare I'd ever had. Ever. Pete held me tightly and soothed me, rubbing my back and saying soothing words.

"They-they killed him." I sobbed.

"It's okay." Pete said. "It was just a dream."

"What if it wasn't?" I asked.

"Don't think like that." He said.

I pulled away and unbuckled my seatbelt. "Switch with me." I said.

Pete stared at me. "Why?" He asked.

"I'm never getting back to sleep. Let me drive. We might as well look for Patrick some more." I said.

"Are you sure you're okay to drive?" He asked.

"I'm fine, Pete." I said.

I started the car and he grabbed my arm. "Tori." He said.

"Don't you want to find him?!" I demanded.

"Of course." He said. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Why do you care anyway?" I asked.

"Because I-because you're my best friend Tori. And my other best friends fiancé. I can't let anything happen to you." He said.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine." I said.

"Tori, please." Pete said.

"Pete, I said I was fine." I snapped.

There was a pause. Then Pete removed his hand from my arm.

I started driving.