Chapter 4

Charlotte POV

I knew the moment I bumped into Sebastian Becroft that early morning of Tuesday, my life has already been sentenced. Sebastian Becroft the CEO of Becroft Companies. As the manager of E&F, my boss has already started making plans to merge with them a long time now, but Becroft do not actually merge, they only do partnerships for about a number of months, and then it expires.

It wasn't easy to pretend in front of him, that morning. I was so tempted to act nice and introduce myself so we can formally know each other before the meeting, but as the new Charlotte I am, I acted harsh, rude and nonchalant. That's the three new me.

Sebastian Becroft is well....not what I expected. I expected a cold, brooding, angry and rude person, but it turned out well. He wasn't just rich, he was hot, handsome and very sexy (not like I'm ever gonna let him know that), then he had a nice personality, he doesn't get angry easily, at least the rude comments and the bored tone I used on him, didn't land a slap on my face.

And I was quite relieved when I found out, he wasn't the cold and brooding type, it would've made the whole hard interior facade of mine more hard than I bargained for.

".... So he proposed!" Madeline was saying.

Proposed?

"Huh?" I asked, when I didn't get the rest of her sentence. I was so into my own train of thoughts to have listened.

"You weren't here with me were you? Seriously Char, you are practically turning me to a talkative! I now repeat sentences and words like a damn psychopath!" She huffed, frown lines marring her cute face.

Me and my silly thoughts.

"Sorry, Mad. Work is just...."

"I know, work, work, work! That's all you fucking think about. Can't you see what your 'work' is doing to you? Did to you?" She whispered the last part.

I immediately got all fired up."Don't you dare!" I almost screamed.

"I'm sorry for bringing that up, but it's just so annoying. You're no longer the Charlotte who I became best friends with. It's like I don't know you anymore" She said, looking all tired and fed up.

That's true. I don't know who I am anymore. Its like I'm here, but a different person has possessed my soul, and there is little to nothing I can do about it. I actually like the new me, no I adore the new me.

"Look Madeline. We have talked about this...." I started.

"We haven't talked about shit, Charlotte. It's been months now. Months since that asshole of a guy named Jackson broke things up with you. He's married now, with a kid! He's happily living his damn life, and you! You are now so changed, so negatively changed that sometimes I feel like slapping some sense into that head of yours. Being mean, rude, harsh doesn't change shit." She retorted, making advances with her hands.

I shook my head. "It changes a ton of things, Madeline. I'm no longer nice, I'm no longer the dumb foolish Charlotte who anyone trample upon. I love this change, Mad. Not you or anyone can do anything about it." I finalised, making sure my tone was clipped.

"Can't you see it's ruining your life?! Everyone has noticed the change, even our neighbours. You are creating a bad name for yourself. For goodness sake you are better than this! Don't let the mistake of a single man, ruin your whole life." She lectures, making me more pissed. Can't she see that my mind is made up? I can't even keep arguing with her.

"You know what? Goodnight." I mumbled, grabbing my phone from the cushion and heading to my room.

"You can't run away from me,Charlotte Snow Daniels!! You know I'm right Dammit!" Her voice continued to echo in the quiet house.

I rolled my eyes at the use of my middle name, it's not like she hasn't said this before. If I was actually counting, then I think this is the hundredth time she's saying this, it's not like it has changed me.

Jackson said it himself, I'm too nice.
I caused it. So I mended it, now everyone seems to be on my neck, not like I care or anything, I just don't.

Nobody actually knows the amount of pain I experienced at that breakup. I wish it was some other silly excuse, not about me being too nice. I was made the object of ridicule in front of Jackson and his slut.  Now, I'm making people actually feel what it feels like to not be nice.

And that's Charlotte.

Vote and comment lovelies💕💞