Chapter 60: Star Crossed Lovers

-May 23rd, 1995-

-May 23rd, 1995-

He ran his ringed fingers through his jet black hair, removing the remaining droplets of rain from the top of his head. He glanced around the strip club. They all looked the same to him. Dimmed red lights, cheap black leather booths and tables with chairs that had torn patches of fabric. And of course, his own songs were playing throughout the speakers of the strippers dance. Cigarette smoke replaced the oxygen as he pulled himself onto a chair at the bar.

Old habits die hard. He looked around seeing bartenders were busy catering too the other patrons of the strip club. He rubbed his face before looking down at the wedding ring as he took it off and put it in his pocket. His marriage to Brandi was a sham. He knew it. Brandi knew it. His band mates knew it. The whole world knew it.

He sighed deeply, Times like these she always popped into his head. It was the universes way of saying 'fuck you, Nikki. You're down in the dumps? Oh, let's make it worse by flooding your brain with her face and the way you seemed to fuck everything up with her.'

He hoped she was better off without him.

Vanity stood in the bathroom, dumping a line of cocaine on the counter, holding a nostril shut and snorting it. She rubbed her nose while looking at herself in the mirror. Or, what used to be her. Her sweet hazel eyes that were usually golden were dark and murky. Vanity Blackwood was still convinced she didn't have a problem. She functioned in society. She had a job. She had a roof over her head. She was still able to provide everything for her daughter.

She railed another line quickly before glancing down at her watch and seeing she was ten minutes late getting back from her break. She splashed some water on her face, wiping off the residue from the counter before walking out of the bathroom.

Vanity walked through the narrow hallway to get back to the bar. She stopped in her tracks, eyes widening at the picture of deflated jet black hair that rested on the shoulders of a leather jacket. She stared at him as he looked down at the counter of the bar, tapping his fingers against the wood. It was getting harder for her to breathe.

Vanity glanced around for another bartender to deal with him, but they were all busy tending to other customers. She exhaled through her mouth as she tightened her high pony tail. She walked behind the bar, unlocking the small gate with a key as she walked over to the fridge and handed him a water bottle.

"That's two dollars." She mustered up the courage to speak as she waited for him to look at her. She saw that sinful smirk play on his lips.

Nikki noticed dark green painted nails clutching a water bottle as she sat it in front of him, "Thought water was free. Do I fucking look like I want-" Nikki's eyes finally met hers as they widened slowly. He took everything about her in. Not much had changed to him. Her hair now had blonde undertones against the caramel strands, she had a little gold nose ring. She wasn't wearing any make up and she looked beautiful that way to him.