Chapter 85: J.B.J

I sipped on my third cup of coffee with shaky hands as I glanced at the clock

I sipped on my third cup of coffee with shaky hands as I glanced at the clock. I rubbed my temples it was only five in the morning and I had another six hours to go. I thanked the cook as he put my order on the window before I placed the plates on the tray and
brought them over to my customers.

"Anything else I can get you?" I asked as they all looked at each other before responding with a no. I smiled and told them to enjoy as I walked away from their table. I glanced over to the back corner seeing a man in a backwards New York Yankees baseball cap.

"Hey, didn't anyone tell you that you're in Dodgers country? Are you ready to order?" I dug into my half apron and pulled out a notepad. My lips parted just a smidge when he looked up at me, "Oh, wow...hey?"

Jon smiled and laughed a bit, "Hey yourself. It's nice to see you again Vanity. I was waiting for you to call me..."

"You were?" I stared at him, my face getting warmer by the second as he nodded, "I'm so sorry. I wasn't trying to lead you on or anything, it's just been a tad bit chaotic at home. But I didn't loose it! It's in one of my jewelry boxes." I rambled as I held the pen tight in my hand.

Jon leaned back in the booth, "No it's okay, really it is. I'm sorry to hear you're not having a good time but it's nice to see you smiling instead of that scowl you had on your face last time."

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Yeah well, you caught me on a really bad day. But today's different. Have you decided on what you wanted?"

Jon shook his head as he looked down at the menu, "No, not really. It's my first time being here and I was starving after getting off my early flight. What do you suggest?"

"Well, our blueberry pancakes are pretty popular as well as our French toast. But my personal favorite is the biscuits and gravy, the biscuits are made fresh every morning."

"I'll have that with some coffee and orange juice then." He smiled as he handed me over the menu. I walked away for a moment, writing down his order on the ticket as I gave it to the cooks. I stuffed creamer and sugar into the pockets of the half apron around my waist as I grabbed his cup of coffee and OJ.

"So, are you in Los Angeles long?" I glanced at him as he looked up from the newspaper when I put his drinks down.

"Um actually for a week or two. Sometimes it's easier to come here for meetings rather than phone calls and emails. I'm not very tech savvy." Jon confessed as he smiled at me, "Maybe I get to see you this time since I never got a call back.." he arched his eyebrow in a playful manner.

I groaned, closing my eyes tight for a quick second, "I know. I'm sorry I didn't call like I said I would I've just been so busy lately. But if you're here for a little bit maybe we can get together and grab a bite to eat or something?" I spoke hopeful as I close to ripping my notepad in half due to nerves.