chapter two

September 14, 2018 [Friday]
•32 weeks left•

"Just be yourself, okay? You'll do just fine," Katie told me, adding light eyeshadow and nude colored lipstick to my face. It was pretty hot out that day, and I knew there would be lights on me when I went on stage, so I didn't want to do a full look of makeup.

"And don't let your nerves get the best of you. We all know how you get right before a show," Rory pointed at me, watching Katie work her magic. Rory came into our apartment early that morning to catch me before I left. His energetic entrance—singing completely off-key and dropping on top of me while I was in bed—was his version of sharing his excitement for my audition.

I hummed softly, not wanting to move my lips. I had about five minutes until it was time to start walking to the Winter Garden theater. I wanted to get there fairly early, but I was sure everyone else was thinking the same thing.

"Thanks again for everything, guys," I gave them both a quick hug right after Katie finished her final touches.

"If this were one of us, you'd be the exact same way," Katie said, rubbing my arm.

"This could be life changing for you, Sarah. We're proud of you for trying," Rory replied as we all exited my room and walked towards the door. I couldn't help but engulf them in one last hug.

I snuggled my nose in Katie's neck, whiffing her scented vanilla hair. I heard her coo as she slithered her arms around me. "Good luck, honeybun." I can't exactly remember how that nickname came about. I think it was along the lines of telling her about my obsessed with the honeybuns they sold in the vending machines at my in high school.

Pulling away from Katie, I switched to Rory and my arms wrapped around his waist. I snuggled closer when I felt his lips kiss the side of my head. His arms tightened around my neck to keep me close, and I could tell he was feeling a little nervous for me. "I believe in you, Skittles." I snorted loudly, tilting my head back against his arms.

"Oh god, you and your snorts," Katie gagged, crossing her arms at us. I pulled away and stuck my tongue out at her.

"Ignore her," Rory rubbed my back. "Do your thing, Sarah. I can't wait to hear about it when you get back."

"Thank you guys, and wish me luck," I giggled walking out of the apartment.

"Go get 'em tiger!" I heard Katie yell as the door shut.

~It's Showtime~

I sucked in a long breath while opening the doors to the Winter Garden. I ran into a bunch of people standing in the main entrance. Everyone had a packet in their hands, most were reading it and others were sitting around writing in them.

I excused myself through the crowd until I found three people sitting at a desk with stacks of paper. The girl in the middle's eyes lit up when she caught me awkwardly walking over to the desk. I put on a polite smile, tugging strands of my hair behind my ear.

"Hello, are you here for auditions?" The girl asked, picking up a pen and handing it to me because she already knew the answer. I nodded once, taking the pen and filling in the sign-in sheet that was attached to a clipboard. "I'm Daisy, by the way," the girl grabbed my attention. I peeked up at her and saw a huge grin on her face.

"Sarah," I replied, standing back up and adjusting my shirt. Daisy nodded at me, before turning the sign in sheet around and looking at my information. She then went on her computer, so I looked around the room mindlessly instead of staring intensely at her.

I spotted a bunch of girls my age scattered around, looking at their packets. I knew they were probably auditioning for the same role I was, but I shook my head, trying not to think too hard about it.