chapter twenty seven

December 12th, 2018 [Wednesday]
•19 weeks left•

I woke up early the next morning with a boost of energy hitting me, for some reason. I felt really good and I had no idea why. I wasn't sure if it was because of Alex. I mean, thanks to his texts from yesterday I felt better about my speculation. I didn't have to be as mad at him anymore.

I promised myself not to worry about Katie that morning or even think about her.

I looked over at the digital clock on the nightstand to read 8:37. To me, that was pretty late for a Wednesday, I was usually up around six. When I was younger, I always got up before I even needed to be for school and bothered my parents. They simply waved me off, complaining it was too early and scolded me to go back to sleep.

I peeked over my shoulder to peer out the bright window and see the city greet me. An early morning was already signaled by the loud noises of honking cars and the synchronised clinking of heels and suit shoes.

I rolled out of bed and stretched out my legs, twisting my body, before heading to the kitchen. An idea sparked as a 'thank you' to the Butlers. I decided to make a nice breakfast for them while they were still sleeping. They all greeted me with wide arms when I really needed comfort, and I am grateful for all three of them.

Luckily, Kerry had all the ingredients I needed for a grand breakfast. I was always making more than I had to, but I couldn't help it. I loved to cook.

As I put the bacon in the oven and stood back up to close it, I heard light footsteps come up behind me. I also jumped from the sudden noise, but glanced down and immediately awed at the sight of Sumaya trailing over, sleepily. Her eyes fought to stay open as she looked around.

"Hey Sleepy Head," I sang, going back to cooking. I started adding seasoning to the eggs when I felt Sumaya tug at the hem of my pajama shorts. I looked down and smiled at her. She had on Minnie Mouse pajamas and a Pineapple plush toy hugged under her arm. She tilted her head up to shyly wave a 'good morning', still too tired to speak.

I picked Sumaya up and placed her on my hip, cooking with my other free hand. I felt one of her arms immediately wrap around the back of my neck. "You alright?" I whispered, unable to turn my head to her, but I felt her answer as she pressed her cheek against mine and slowly nodded.

"I'm tired," she laid her head on my shoulder. I gave her forehead a light kiss, before I went back to cooking.

Eventually, my arm got tired and with the stove on near Sumaya's dangling feet, I sat here on the counter behind me. She pulled her legs up to sit criss-cross and set her Pineapple plush on her lap, resting her chin on the cotton pricks of the stem.

As I continued to cook, Sumaya finally found the energy to ramble on about school. She was currently on winter break, but she still told me all about the friends she made during class and how she had good grades. "School is pretty easy, and fun."

"That's really good, Sumaya. I'm proud of you," I beamed at her, patting her thigh as I turned back to her.

"Thank you," she shied, playing with the arms of her plushy.

"Good morning," both Sumaya and I whipped our heads to the direction of another voice. Segi walked into the kitchen with a light smile. Her face was more awake than Sumaya's was when she came over. "Hey Summy," she cooed at her sister as she jumped up on the counter, sitting next to her.

"Morning Segi. How ya feeling?" I asked, walking to stand in front of her. She was in a pajama tank top and furry brown pants to match.