chapter thirty four

I requested that we take a longer route to Alex's apartment so we could spend some time outside. I was missing the freshness of the outdoors after spending so many hours in that theater. I had thought about planning a nice trip to the park on one of my days off and inviting some of the other cast members to join me. I liked hanging out with them outside of rehearsals.

Also, I could tell by the way Alex was muttering to himself that he wasn't completely ready to talk. I thought I'd give him some time to think.

When we both signaled that we should start heading to his apartment, we finally made our way there. Our intertwined hands were squeezed constantly to reassure each other. Mine even started to sweat, but Alex didn't seem to care.

Things didn't start off so bad when we first arrived. As soon as Alex creaked the door open, I heard quick paw taps scraping the wood floor, the sound coming from Alex's room. I immediately dropped to one knee and gasped at the recognizable run of Kevin sprinting down the hallway.

"Kevin!" I exclaimed, as he leaped into my arms. I giggled loudly and engulfed him in a tight hug. "How are you handsome?" Kevin instantly targeted for my face and covered my cheeks with wet kisses. I brushed him softly, missing the feeling of his smooth coat under my fingers.

"What a nice reunion," Alex chuckled, stalking towards us slowly as he watched over my shoulder. I glanced over at him and nodded with squinted eyes, due to my cheesy smile.

"I missed him so so so much," I cooed, pushing the side of Kevin's face against my cheek and scratching him. I walked into the living room while spinning Kevin and I around in circles. "You missed me too, buddy?" Kevin squirmed in my arms in response.

"He did," Alex answered, but his tone said it all. He was actually speaking for himself. He avoided eye contact, and I caught a slight frown as he passed us to sit on his couch. I sighed, before looking back down at Kevin.

"Well, I missed you very much," I responded, rocking him in my arms. Alex chuckled lightly under his breath, playing with his fingers. I laughed with him as I walked over to the couch and sat down besides him. "Okay, run along, Kev." I placed Kevin next to my feet just for him to jump back up on the couch and onto my lap. I furrowed my brows and looked over at Alex. He only shrugged and patted Kevin's head.

"I guess he'll be joining us," He snorted. I hummed and watched as Kevin made himself comfortable on my lap. Not that it was a problem—it was nice to have Kevin with me. I ran my fingers along his body back and forth as I turned to focus on Alex.

When he noticed the attention was all on him, he took a nervous deep breath and stared back at me. I could tell he was a little lost and his head was filled.

"So..." Alex ran his hands through his hair. "Where should I start? What do you want to know?" He asked, moving his hands to rub his thighs.

I reached over to grab one of his frantic hands. "Alex, it's just me, calm down. You don't have to be so nervous," I assured him.

"I look nervous?" He panicked, trying to fix his face. I giggled and patted his cheek.

"Whether you are or not, just relax. All I ask is that you tell me the full story; the truth. I know Katie has her side, but I want to hear yours first. One, because I trust you, and two... I honestly can't believe a word she says right now," I huffed the last part. "She betrayed and lied to me. I'll deal with her when I'm ready, but for now—" His worried hand grasp mine in a tight hold.

"You want my truth." I rolled in my lips and shrugged. 'Basically'.

"I just want to fix this and move the hell on," I summed it up. Mentally, I was exhausted. And it was unnecessary exhaustion.