chapter forty one

"No, Alex stop, I'm serious," I tried to scold him between laughing, "I don't have any makeup on, I'm naked!" Alex snorted but didn't let down from attempting to shove his phone in my face to videotape me.

"You look beautiful, Sarah. Come on," he groaned, reaching for my hands to hold them down.

"No way," I shook my head stubbornly, still covering my face. "Shoo, don't do this to me." I turned away from him, pretending to sniffle. He stopped for a moment with a frustrated huff, and a smile grew on my lips in victory. Suddenly, I felt his warm hands grip my hips and effortlessly lift me onto his lap sideways. I laid my legs out along the couch and turned my head to the side to look at him.

He hummed in satisfaction, wrapping his arms around me tightly to make sure I didn't fall off of him. He then nuzzled his nose into my shoulder and chuckled, "Are you done crying?"

"No, because you can't just lift me up so easily and not expect me to be more upset," I complained, crossing my arms. His chest vibrated against my side as he laughed. He reached beside me for my farthest shoulder and pushed it closer so I laid more against him. He softly sighed and planted a kiss on the side of my head. I frowned at the lack of a snarky remark back. "What's wrong?" I furrowed my brows at him.

"Nothing, I'm just very happy," he shrugged. A smile crept on my face, and fortunately, he couldn't see it. "Don't think I can't see that smile, shortcake. I can basically feel it." I slapped his thigh, making him laugh and squeeze me tighter.

"You're annoying," I grumbled, pushing my hair behind my ear. I leaned off of him slightly to be able to look down at him. "I don't like how you know me so well, I think I want to call this relationship off."

His brows raised amusingly before dropping to a hurtful expression. "Sarah, don't say that. You're going to break your boyfriend's heart," he moaned, resting his hand on his chest. Chills suddenly shot across my body as 'boyfriend' lingered in my mind. It was a sweet sound coming from him and knowing that it was true brought weightless joy.

"I'm sorry, Brighty Boy." I adjusted myself to throw a leg over his lap so I could face him properly. Our chests almost touched from the short distance between us. He stared up at me longly with a smile before puckering his lips. I laughed and continued to look at him innocently.

When he realized he didn't receive his kiss, he fell back against the couch and groaned like he was shot. I covered my mouth with the back of my hand to contain my giggles. "Again, shortcake, you're just really hurting my heart right now," he whined, but still had the corners of his lips turned upwards. "You're so shy." He leaned up to lay a kiss on my cheek.

"I am not," I countered, poking his nose. "I'll have you know, Mr. Brightman, Sarah Holland is the most amazing outgoing sociable extrovert you'll ever—"

"I'm gonna stop you right there, Ms. Holland," He interrupted me with a smirk. My eyes widened as I reached to squish his face by squeezing his cheeks with my fingers. His brows raised at the sudden move.

"Don't you dare say I'm not. Agree with me right now, Brightman," I demanded. He glared at me silently but rubbed his hand along my thigh. "I'm waiting." Alex hesitated, before nodding slowly. I released his cheeks and watched as he shifted his mouth around to soothe his jaw.

"You have a strong grip there."

"Thank you," I exclaimed, kissing his lips before he could register it and return the gesture. He whined at me and squeezed my body closer for a hug. "Do you think Kevin is still asleep?" I asked, glancing in the direction of the hallway leading to Alex's bedroom.

His eyes followed mine before squinting in thought. "Probably. If he knew you were here, he'd be out by now. But he was even asleep when I left for work, this morning."