chapter fourteen

After thirty minutes of my dreadful bulling session, we all finished and paid for our food. I wanted to kiss the waiter for walking over at the perfect time to hand over the check. It was not a pleasant experience, and I felt personally targeted. Especially since they kept trying to make my face turn red. When I blushed, my cheeks reddened more than usual. I could never hide it, so I was always entertaining for people to mess with. Katie used to take advantage of it when she thought I liked Rory in college. And the only reason I was shy when I talked to Rory was because I was just awkward around guys, but she didn't believe me.

We eventually made our way out of Friday's after staying for a while to talk. We finished our conversation standing against the building. Alex and I snuggled under each other as the wind started to pick up. October was the warning for everyone in New York to pack away all those shorts and pull the sweaters out.

"This was fun, guys. Thank you so much for coming with me," Kerry exclaimed, giving each of us hugs. She whispered a 'sorry' in my ear when she reached me, along with a squeeze. She pulled back, letting out a little giggle. I rolled my eyes and joined her with a laugh. At least somebody apologized, even though the jokes were harmless.

"Well, I'll see you all tomorrow. Get a good rest," Adam told us, starting to walk off with Rob and Kerry. Leslie walked with Alex and I for a while, before she departed down a different block. When it was just Alex and I, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer into his side. I felt the ends of my lips curl upwards at his gesture.

"Why didn't you do this when we were with them?" I asked, referring to his arm.

"I didn't want to come across clingy or anything," He explained with a snort.

"That's so cute. You're so cute," I cooed at him, encircling his waist with my arm. "So, what did you think of everyone?" I glanced up at him to catch his furrowed eyebrows as he thought about it.

"They're really cool, actually," He replied, looking down to meet my eyes. I was pretty short in general, but Alex wasn't a giant, so our height difference wasn't significant.

"That's good. I like them, a lot. But, not as much as I like you, so there's that," I teased, bumping my side with his.

Alex's brow furrowed in response to my remark as he darted his eyes to look straight ahead. I wanted to assume he was blushing and that I had caught him, but he just smirked. "Thank you, Sarah. I like them, but not as much as you, too," He chuckled.

"More than Kevin?" I pressed, waiting for an answer with an open smile. He snickered softly and shook his head slightly. "Come on," I trailed out with a laugh.

I watched as he huffed, looking down at me with a frown. "I don't think so, shortcake. Kevin Brightman is the man," He shrugged with a sigh. "Well, dog, technically." He corrected himself. I let out a playful sigh and drew away from him.

"So now I have to compete with Kevin? If he wants war, I'll give him one," I seethed, motioning to Alex. He laughed at me, grabbing my arm and pulling me back next to him.

"Please, no competition. I can't bear to see the look on your face when I have to tell you that I still prefer him," he said, frowning. "It'll be a disaster." I covered my mouth to giggle. I yanked my arm away again and walked backwards in front of him.

I remained silent, squinting my eyes menacingly. "So you've confirmed it's Kevin? How come I don't get a chance?" I blinked, a forced frown on my face. Alex quickly bit his lip to stop chuckling, but I noticed his body shook slightly.

"I guess so. I'm sorry, little one," He reached forward to pat my head.

"Don't call me that," I snapped, slapping his hand away with a huff.