chapter thirty one

Kerry, Alex, and I had a short walk to Applebee's for lunch. When we got there, I was able to tug Kerry into the spot next to mine, but Alex was quick to snatch the seat across from me. I didn't realize how small the table was until we sat down and Alex's legs collided into mine.

"Sorry," he apologized quickly. I only nodded in response, before lifting my menu up to cover my face from him. When he was out of sight, I closed my eyes for a quick second, calming myself down.

Too many things were happening and it was overwhelming. I couldn't keep up with everything, I just needed time alone. A day in my bedroom, relaxing without any stress from people around me was what I craved for so badly. I had to put on an act the whole time and I was tired.

"Thanks for coming with me," Kerry got my attention as she beamed at us. I looked over at her and smiled back.

"Thanks for having me," I bumped her shoulder with mine.

Across from me, I heard Alex chime in, "Same here." I bent my menu towards me so it lowered and I was able to glare at him. To my surprise, he was already staring at me intensely. That smug smirk was still visible as he kept contact. I rolled my eyes annoyingly and lifted my menu back up to hide him.

Right after, I felt Alex's foot under the table purposely brush mine. When I didn't respond to his action, he did it again. I growled under my breath, hitting his foot harder and moving my menu to give him a hard glare.

"So, how are you two doing? Did you work everything out?" Kerry asked more to me, folding her fingers in front of her, on top of her menu. Both Alex and I cleared our throats, awkwardly, neither of us spoke.

The look Alex had on his face indicated that he wanted me to speak. "Well.. uh—yeah—we're doing just fine," I answered for us with a nod at Kerry.

She switched her attention between us both, examining our uncomfortable smiles. "Huh? Really?" She slurred, confused by my uneasy voice.

"Yup. We're a-okay. Right, Alex?" I exclaimed, widening my eyes at him. As I replayed my words, I internally cursed at my over the top answer. I was nervous.

I caught Alex pursing his lips, trying not to laugh as he nodded to my question. I glanced back at Kerry who stared at us utterly confused. I could tell her head was jumbled with suspicions.

She waited another moment before asking, "Well, is Katie finally out of the picture?" Oh Kerry Kerry Kerry. If only you knew.

"Ask Alex," I instantly snapped, darting my eyes to him and tilting my head. "Is she, Alexander?" my voice lowered as I slowly leaned forward. I didn't care about Kerry's glare at me, I wanted Alex to say his answer to my face. He needed to say it to me.

It was a long tensional stare down. My eyes never left Alex's as he bit his lip. I knew it was a lost cause because it shouldn't have taken him so long to answer. He had to think about it.

Finally, he spoke with a slow nod. "Yep, she's gone." It took him too many beats of silence to say those words. They weren't true. Why couldn't they just be true?

"Thank goodness!" Kerry boosted, the tension still present. "If only you really knew how upset you made Sarah with what you and Katie did. You really hurt her, Alex, but I know you'll make it up. I can see the connection between you two," She smiled sweetly, rubbing both of our arms that were laying on top of the table. I sighed softly, looking down at my hand spread out on my thigh. If the world wanted to shallow me whole, that would've been the perfect time.