chapter fifteen

It was October.

October.

Not April.

Not April 1st.

But who celebrates April Fools in October?

Alex Brightman.

"April fools? What?" I snapped, my eyes widening.

"Gotcha, Sarah! I got you good!" Alex laughed through the phone, his voice starting to muffle.

My hand slapped my forehead as I speechlessly listened to his laugh get louder. My blood boiled all through my body, forming sweat under my head on my forehead. I slowly sucked in a breath, collecting myself.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" I finally yelled, unbeknownst of how loud my voice got. I could almost feel the smoke come out of my ears.

"Hey, it's not my fault your joke backfired," He snickered, sniffling a few times like he was laughing so hard, he cried. I couldn't make up a proper sentence because I was still speechless. I mean, I was happy as hell that he actually wasn't mad at me, but I was furious he did that to me. It wasn't cool at all, but I did start the whole thing.

"I'm so stupid," I mumbled to myself, plopping back down on the couch. I was so embarrassed and I knew my face was turning a dark red.

"No you're not, Sarah. It's just that I'm very a mischievous guy. No hard feelings, though, right?" He asked uncertainly. His voice suddenly dropped and immediately turned into worry as he heard my quick sniffles. "Hey hey, don't cry. I didn't mean to make you sad," He comforted me, probably wanting to reach out and hug me. I didn't realize tears were falling until I felt them on my cheeks again.

"I hate you. You really scared me," I whined softly, using my free hand to wipe all the tears away.

"I'm sorry, shortcake. I honestly didn't mean to make you this upset," He assured me, listening carefully. I laid my forehead on my palm and sighed softly. "You okay?" He asked, seriously. I started to nod slightly, but forgot he couldn't see me.

"I'm happy that you were joking, but I'm mad you got me like that. I thought I lost you or something," I answered honestly with a little shrug. I was very relieved that I didn't have to look at him right now or my cheeks would've been on fire.

He whispered an 'aww', apologizing once again. I stood up and ran back into the bathroom for more tissues. I definitely felt better that Katie wasn't around or she would of scolded me for crying. I couldn't help it though, they just came out.

"You won't be losing me anytime soon, Sarah," Alex told me with an assuring tone, nothing like his earlier one. "I'm honestly sorry."

"It's okay, Alex. It was a joke."

He was quiet for a second and I used that to blow my nose once more, before heading back into the living room. "Do you mind if I come over?" He stuttered his question. "If you're okay with me there. I just want to properly apologize and hug you." I laughed slightly with him.

"Yeah, I'll text you the address," I nodded, brushing my hand down my pants. I bit my lip, thinking of what else I wanted to say without him being able to see me. "Sorry for saying those things to you. I know it was a joke, but I didn't mean to offend you in any way."

"I know, Sarah. It's over, okay?" He asked. I whispered a 'yes', nodding to myself. "I also didn't mean what I said on the phone earlier. I didn't realize how rude I was until after I hung up. I was so close to apologizing, I almost forgot I was pranking you," He snorted, trying to fix the mood.