chapter thirty three

During our numbers together, Alex and I were perfectly fine again. I didn't feel uncomfortable like I did earlier during 'Say My Name'. Kerry and Rob even teased us, pointing out the way we were acting and how it was 'soooo cute'. If there was a stronger word for blushing, that's exactly what I was doing. And they all found it hilarious, especially Alex as he betrayed me by agreeing with them. I gave him a scolding look, but he just hugged me, simply unbothered.

The question of what was going to happen after rehearsals was still lingering for an answer, though. I eventually changed my mind and decided that I wanted to go to Alex's apartment. I needed to stop being stubborn and give him a chance to actually explain everything to me. Even if that meant hearing things I didn't want to hear.

What Alex said to Katie on the phone earlier made me realize that whatever they did was merely a mistake. He really did feel sorry about it, and basically chose me by deciding to tell Katie to leave him alone. I couldn't push him away anymore.

I was going to try to work things out.

When Alex and I started 'That Beautiful Sound', I was a little hesitant with how much acting he'd put into our interactions. But every smile and gesture we shared were genuine. He was actually having a good time with me, and it lifted a bunch of weight off my shoulders.

I was having a lot of fun knowing that I didn't have to feel any tension between us. It felt like we were best friends again. I mean, not that I considered us during our time apart as 'enemies' or anything, I was just mad at him.

"They're out of my grill because of that shrill symphony," I sang while being held up on two of the ensemble's shoulders. I had never been lifted up like that before so it took me a few tries to find good balance and focus on singing correctly.

"Ain't it the sweetest noise around!"

After the ensemble threw me in the air, I ran to center stage with Alex so we could finish the choreographed dance. The handshake we had to do, Alex and I actually made it up. It was short and sweet, but I liked that it was our own.

"That beautiful sound," Alex sang, stepping in front of me and belting his note. I rolled my eyes and bumped his side with my elbow. He flinched and took a step back so I could replace him in that spot.

"That beautiful sound," I repeated, raising my hands. Alex suddenly grabbed my hips and picked me up, making me squeal. He set me down behind him and turned back around to the audience.

"That beautiful sound," He continued. I snuck under his arm to stand in front of him. I raised my arm parallel to his and sang 'sound' with him, but higher. I felt his fingers tickle my armpit, and thanks to my sensitive nerves, my arm shot right back down to my side. It was always hard not to laugh during that part when my blocking was to dart an annoyed look at Alex.

I glared at him with a smirk, still holding out the last note. "That beautiful sound," We sang together, as well as the ensemble, looking at each other darkly. Alex grabbed my hand and raised it with his. We both turned to the audience and finished the note with an evil smile.

When the music stopped, everyone in the house clapped while the ensembles behind us stood back up properly, breaking character. Alex brought our hands down, but kept them intertwined. He looked at me for a reaction, so I smiled warmly.

Following the rest of the ensembles to the side of the stage and down the stairs, I led Alex back to our seats. He kept a strong hold of my hand, even lightly squeezing it. I had no motive to look back at him like he wanted me to, though.

"Nice work, you guys. I still love that song," Timbers praised us. "Kerry and Rob, you're up next." The two of them walked towards us with cheeky looks. As we passed them going up the aisle, we high-fived each other. Kerry glanced down at Alex and I's hands and smirked.