Forty Two

I would've loved to see how red my face turned. I mean, I could feel it. It was on fire, just like the last time. My fists clenched to steady myself as I let out a rough breath.

I didn't even look back at him, instead continued to stare at the stairs at the end of the hallway. I dropped my shoulders with a sigh and ran my hands down my face.

"April fools, shortcake," Alex laughed. I'm honestly relieved he's not actually mad, but I'm actually mad. "Come back," he calls for me as I continue to walk again. I shake my head and close my eyes. Just keep walking, Sarah.

I hear him jog down the hallway to catch up with me. As soon as I start to try to speed walk, he grabs my arm. I tug at him, but his other hand grabs my waist, pulling me into him.

"Don't be mad," He chuckles. I can hear the smirk plastered on his face. I'd love to just slap it off.

"Leave me alone," I growl, trying to pull away.

"Nope, not letting you go that easily," he says. "All I'm trying to do is teach you a lesson, shortcake."

"Yeah yeah, I know," I roll my eyes. "Don't try to prank me because it always backfires. Blah blah blah," I deepen my voice to sound like him. "Does that sound about right?"

"They learn so fast," he coos, pulling me into his chest. I lay my head on his chest and huff.

"That's not fair"

"What's not?"

"I just want to prank you once and not have it end up like this," I complain, picking up my head and crossing my arms.

"One day, shortcake. I'll let you have your glory sooner or later," He comforts me, brushing my hair with his fingers.

"You haven't seen the last of me, Brightman"

"I know I haven't," he chuckles.

"Yeah, but one day, you won't see it coming," I smirk manically. "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too," I change my voice to sound like Elphaba. I start walking back towards his apartment.

"Not Kevin," He whines. "He's too fragile. He can't take your horrible pranks." I gasp and look back at him.

"Why you little—"

"You're the little one," he corrects me, stuffing his hands in his side pockets. I roll my eyes and turn back around. "You know I'm right." Yeah, I know.

~~~

"Winona is such an icon. Why can't my Lydia be as good as hers," I grumble, shaking my head at the movie. After Alex and I finish bickering over nonsense, we finally settled in his living room to watch Beetlejuice. We snuggled together under multiple blankets on the chaise part of his couch.

I turn my head to see him smirking at me. "What?" He shakes his head and shrugs.

"I'm waiting for you to say, 'Oh Sarah, don't say that. You're an amazing Lydia.' Jesus Brightman, you're really slacking on the compliments," I complain. He stares at me in amusement. "I'm always saying how pretty you are and what do I get, huh?" Suddenly, he peck my lips and turns back to the movie. I gasp and hit his chest. He hisses in pain, but recovers immediately after.

"Fine fine," he calms me. "Oh Sarah, don't say that. You're an amazing Lydia," He mimics my voice. I nod in approval as I giggle. Alex reaches his arm around my shoulder and his fingers play with the strands of my hair. He wraps his fingers around them, then untangling them and pushes my head closer to him, so he can kiss the side of it. I look over at him, before smiling at him.

"You're my shortcake, okay?" He grins. I bite my lip as my cheeks heat. I reach my hand up to stroke his cheek.

"And you're my brighty boy, okay?"

"Yes ma'am," he sniffles a laugh. I love his goofiness. I just want to kiss him a thousand times. Our eyes meet and I stare deep into his light hazel eyes. I love looking into his eyes. They're so pretty. I stroke her cheek once more before playing with his fingers.

"You should be in a museum," I hear him say as I lift my eyebrow in confusion. I watch his little smirk grow from my reaction.

"Why?"

"Because you're such a beautiful site", he complements with a proud grin. I close my eyes and shake my head.

"That was so cheesy" I try not to laugh, but fail miserably.

"Well, it made you smile, so it couldn't have been that bad," he shrugs.

"No, it was that bad. I'll—"

"—give you an A for effort. Yeah, yeah," he rolls his eyes. I chuckle as I lay my head on his shoulder. I love that he knows my sayings so well.

We continue to watch the movie, sometime during it, Kevin jumped up onto the couch and squeezed between us.

"Kevin, don't you see we're in the middle of a movie night?" Alex groans, scratching his head.

I gasp and coo at my handsome fellow. When he sees me, he wiggles through the blanket to get closer to me. He fills my cheeks with licks.

"Awe, I love my little bean," I coo, kissing his forehead. Alex chuckles softly as I snuggle closer to him and lay Kevin on my lap. "I love both of my Brightmans." Nights like this, I hope we can do again. Maybe in the future, but for now, I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying it alot.

A soft yawn escapes my lips as I continue to fight my eyes open to watch the movie. "Someone's sleepy, huh?" Alex whispers in my ear. I lift my head up to look at him and smirk.

"No, I'm not" I argue, shaking my head. Alex nods his head in reply.

"Close your eyes shortcake," he says, laying my head back on his shoulder. "We can finish the movie another time."

"But, I'm not tired. I promise. It was a fake yawn," I whine. I pull my head slightly back and peck his lips. "Promise."

"Nice try, shortcake," he catches my little trick. "If you're tired, just sleep."

"But I don't want too" I whine, scooting closer to him—if that's even possible—and stuff my face in his neck. His stubble tickles me.

"Why are you being so stubborn?" He asks. I pull back to look at him. My eyes light as I gasp. "Nope, nevermind. Don't answer that, already know what you're gonna say." I smirk and lift Kevin up.

"Hold him for a minute," I put Kevin in Alex's arms as I get up and pause the movie.

I clear my throat and rub my palms. "Sarah—"

"Ah-hem," I clear my throat again, louder. "I quote—'Hey, I'll take everything that comes with Sarah with open arms'—end quote," I quote him. I smirk at him and place my hands on my hips. "Did you catch that? Should I say it again?"

"No," He shakes his head, rolling his eyes.

"I don't think you did, I'll say it again," I smile sweetly. "I quote—'Hey, I'll take everything that comes with Sarah with open arms'—end quote again," I repeat again.

He sighs, staring at me. "Are you done?"

"Do yo—"

"No," He stops me, reaching out his hand. "Come here."

"Are you sure?" I open my mouth, leaning forward.

"Yes, I remember what I said, Sarah," he chuckles.

"Just making sure," I shrug, walking towards him. "All this stubbornness—"

"I'll take it," he answers for me, pulling me into his lap as soon as my hand meets his. He kisses my cheek and slithers his arms around my waist. "I'll take all of Sarah Holland."

"Oh shucks," I wave him off as I look away. "You're making me blush."

[3/5/20]