Fifty One

"Well, isn't this a surprise. Alex what are you doing here? I thought you were meeting me there," I turn my whole body towards Alex, so Katie can't see my pleading face. Alex looks back between Katie and I, before scrunching his face.

"Don't do that Sarah," Alex rolls his eyes. I give him a deathly stare, shaking my head. I'm gonna kill him.

"What's going on, Sarah? Why is he here?" Katie asks, reaching for my shoulder. I sigh lowly, waiting for the floor to suck me in whole.

"What do you think?" Alex asks sarcastically.

"I wasn't asking you," she snaps at him.

"You didn't need to. It's self explanatory."

"Well when I was told you weren't coming to get her, that's what I believed. So, now that you're here, I'm sure I'm going to be confused on why," she scoffs, crossing her arms. That makes Alex look over at me.

"Sarah?" I smile awkwardly, shifting my weight to my other leg.

"Go on, Sarah," Katie moves to be in my eye line. I roll my lips in, looking at my wrist like I have a watch on.

"Well won't you look at the time. The party is gonna start soon, let's start—"

"Sarah!" They both yell in sync. I huff loudly, closing my eyes.

"I was hoping that I could avoid you both meeting by saying Alex wasn't coming," I answer honestly. Both Katie and Alex scoff. "Oh come on, you can't seriously be mad. You both know why I did it." Both of them stay silent, knowing exactly that I'm right.

"All you had to say was that I was coming. You knew she wasn't going to come out if you did," Alex tears the deadly tension with his remark.

"Yeah, lying wasn't really the way to go," Katie adds.

"Oh, like how you both did to me," I laugh. "How ironic."

"Don't say that, Sarah."

"Why not Alex? Is it not true?" My eye twitches at him. He stays silent. "You know, It's crazy how you both are mad at me for trying to move on and forget what you both did to me. I shouldn't be near either of you in the first place, but I'm trying to fix this." This night couldn't get worse. I just want to go to this party and hang out with my friends. Alex—reading my mind—grabs my hand.

"It doesn't matter now, let's go Sarah," He starts pulling us away. I turn my head to look over at Katie, sadness written all over her face.

"Wait, Sarah!" Both Alex and I stop. She bites her lip as her feet anxiously tap the floor. "You both look great. Have fun." Alex quietly snorts behind me. I squeeze our intertwined hands, smiling at Katie.

"Thanks Katie. You also helped, so wouldn't look this good without you," I smirk at her. A hint of a smile appear on her face.

"Yeah thanks, come on shortcake," Alex tugs my arms.

"Sorry," she mouths. I shrug and turn to continue walking with Alex.

~~~

"Are you okay?" Alex cautiously asks as we walk in silence. I sigh lowly, before nodding. I can tell he doesn't believe me, so he pulls me closer. "I'm sorry about that. I—"

"You didn't need to snap like that Alex."

"I know, I know. I don't know—"

"Let's just forget about it, hm?" I smile weakly at him. He looks into my eyes, looking for a reaction.

"Okay, if that's what you want," he smiles back. We finally pick up a conversation and slowly smooth back into normal like the incident didn't happen. Our arms swing childishly as we excitedly talk about the album.

"And then I get to hear Fright of their Lives repeatedly whenever I want. What a win!" I laugh.

"You really like that song, don't you?"

"I will be listening to it religiously," I nod, smirking. Alex breaks into a pit of laughter. "What? It's true. That song will be played everyday."

"What about our song?"

"Which one?"

"Both. If Rob and Kerry didn't come in, Say My Name would officially be our song. And That Beautiful Sound, but the extras come out for it."

"And Creepy Old Guy is our wedding song."

"Yeah, but I don't really like the fact you call me a creepy old guy the whole time," He huffs. I laugh at him, patting his head.

"You blackmailed me into marriage. Don't get mad that I have an attitude about it," I shrug.

"It's actually Beetlejuice blackmailed Lydia into marriage. I won't do that, I'll be waiting for the right moment," he says. I stay quiet, looking away. That escalated.

"I still can't wait to hear it," I exclaim, changing the subject. I start walking on my toes to reach up to his cheek. I kiss his stubble, feeling his cheek puff from smiling.

"I am too. I can't wait to hear your solo songs. During opening night, I'll be screaming backstage for you," he chuckles, squeezing my hand. "I'm sure my whole family will be." My eyes widen as my breath hitch. His parents. "Sarah?"

"Alex, I'm gonna meet your parents at opening night," I stop him. "Oh my god, I'm dating you and I'm meeting your parents!" I pull my hand away and gently run them through my hair, trying not to ruin it. He chuckles as he walks behind me and pulls me into his chest. His arms cross over my collarbones and his chin on my shoulder.

"Someone's excited to meet my parents," He teases, I sense a smirk tug on his lips.

"Alex, it's not funny! This is serious. I'm gonna meet your parents," I grumble. "I don't even know their names. I didn't even ask you what your parents names are. I'm so stupid!" I freak out. I'm going to be sick.

"Sarah calm down. It'll be fine. Opening night isn't until a few more months. We still have time to talk about each other's families," he reassures me. "And, if makes you feel better, I'll worried about meeting your parents too." He continues to walk us towards the party as he talks. "If we recall, I wasn't really a great not-boyfriend-but-technically-was-boyfriend."

"Not-boyfriend-but-technically-was-boyfriend?"

"That's what I called myself," He snorts. I laugh, turning to see him smiling proudly.

"You're dumb," I roll my eyes, "But anyways, we moved on and my parents are going to love you."

"And the same goes for mine. We'll be fine, okay?" I nod once and sigh lowly. "Let's worry about all that stuff when it's time. But for now, I'm ready to have a great night with my favorite girl."

"And then movie night at yours," I wiggle my eyebrows.

"Sounds like a plan." I squeal, hugging his arm.

[6/9/20]