chapter thirteen

Alex and I were sitting on his couch talking, waiting for an announcement to be called. It was nice to be alone with him, and for a long time. He asked a bunch of questions about me that I hadn't already shared with him before. Which was basically my college life. And now that I looked back, I kind of missed it there.

I still think college Sarah is definitely a person that should stay in the past, but she was quite cool.

I wasn't the quiet but genius introvert that people who just met me would've expected. I was pretty fond of amongst a lot of the students. Well, my fellow theater classmates, and there was a lot of us.

Throughout the years, I became an influencer to the underclassmen. I got tugs on the back of my shirt—outside of class—and in a small voice, I'd hear, "Sarah, do you mind helping me memorize my monologue?" Or "Can I show you my scene and tell me if it's good?"

For someone who almost had a heart attack before performing, I was a reliable person to others for when they felt the same way.

"I just know if we were in the same class, we'd get tons of scenes together," Alex said. His elbow sat on the back of the couch, his head rested in his palm.

I nodded in agreement. "Oh for sure. I always got paired up with this guy, Brandon, but if you were with me, you'd replace him."

"Well, at least we'll be together now," he smiled, squeezing my knee that sat between us on the cushion. I hummed, playing with my lips to attempt to cover my blushing face. Alex saw right through me and simply laughed.

Another hour went by and finally, Timbers called the whole cast and crew to the house. I heard Alex groan under his breath because of our interrupted conversation.

"Continue this conversation later?" I pushed my finger into his chest when we both stood up.

"It's a date," Alex lowered his voice and wiggled his eyebrows at me. With a scoff, I turned away towards the door. "Right?"

"Yeah yeah."

When we got to the house, Kerry was already there in the fourth row. She had been watching the door in anticipation for us to arrive.

"Sarah, Alex." She raised her hand to call us over. I grabbed Alex's wrist and jogged down the aisle to her. I settled in the seat next to Kerry, Alex sat on my other side.

"Hey Kerry, long time no see," I smiled, giving her a side hug, before we both sat back in our seats.

There were still other cast and crew coming in the house. People were behind Alex and I when we entered, so I felt a little more relaxed realizing we weren't late.

"Hey, did you meet with all the designers?" Kerry asked, grabbing one of my hands. I nodded in response. "I got to try on my costume earlier, I'm so excited to wear it during rehearsals."

"I am too, I love Lydia's main dress," I boasted. My shoulder suddenly gained weight and an itchy feeling from a familiar stubble.

"You're gonna love my costume, it's definitely better than Sarah's," Alex teased. Kerry gasped slightly, before laughing.

"I'm sure of it," she played along. I used my free hand to push Alex's forehead off my shoulder.

I turned to him slightly to whisper, "Fuck off." That earned a painful poke to my side. "Hey, that hurt."

"So do words, Sarah," he snapped back.

Right as I'm about to speak, Timbers suddenly appeared on stage, waving his hands to get our attention. "Hey everyone," he exclaimed, using a microphone. "I hope most of you got to meet with the designers and possibly try on some costumes. If not, you will soon, so don't worry."