chapter eighteen

With that, the meeting was concluded, and everyone exited the theater. Alex held my shoulders from behind, like a conga line, to keep us together. He stated that he was concerned that my tiny figure would be crushed or tramped on. Of course, he got punched in the arm for it.

"Do you want to get something to eat?" Alex asked as we stood outside against the building, out of everyone's way.

"Yeah. Can we order pizza from your place? I'll help pay," I suggested, looking up at him.

"Of course, but I'm paying," he said, pointing at me. I started groaning already, knowing exactly where the conversation was going.

"No, I'll help pay as well," I shot back, shaking my head and crossing my arms to appear more serious.

Alex only smiled at my stance. "Yeah, not happening," he shrugged, unbothered.

"Yeah, totally happening," I tested, moving closer to him. He only stared me down, his brows furrowed in warning.

"Don't be stubborn, Sarah," he complained, rolling his eyes. With an annoyed laugh, I threw my hands up in surrender.

"I'm not," I countered.

"Then I'll be paying," Alex shrugged as he pushed himself off the wall and walked away. I gasped slightly at his tone, running up to his side. "Something you want to say, shortcake?" He cast a glance at me.

"I just don't want you to have to worry about paying for me," I said solemnly.

"You're my guest. End of discussion." Moving on from the conversation, he pulled me into his side. I huffed loudly and looked away with a frown.

The walk was quiet—which was unusual. I was still a bit irritated that Alex wouldn't even agree to let me pay tip. I mean, it was a nice gesture, but it felt weird not paying for my own food.

"Stop overthinking it," Alex interrupted my thoughts.

"I wasn't."

"You were, just let me treat you today, Sarah," he sighed. Now I felt bad.

I raised my head to meet his enticing gaze. It was so genuine. "Okay, I'm sorry." He smiled in what looked like relief.

"Don't worry about it."

When we arrived at Alex's apartment, he took his arm from around me to retrieve his key. I was feeling much better by then, and I was bouncing on my toes with excitement. I was only a door away from Kevin, and I was eager to meet him. I hadn't also touched a dog in a long time.

"What are you doing?" Alex questioned my bouncing.

"I'm excited," I stated the obvious with a shrug.

"To see Kevin or to hang out with me?" He smirked as he unlocked the door but kept it closed. "Choose wisely."

I placed my hands on my hips and gave him a scolding frown. "I can't believe you'd make me choose." I shook my head in disappointment. He only laughed at me, before pushing the door open and stepping to the side.

"After you, Ms. Holland," He bowed, motioning for me to enter.

"Thank you Mr. Brightman," I bowed back—ladylike—then ruffled his hair. As I walked into the main entrance, I did a 360 turn to get a good look around his place. It was honestly what I expected it to be. It seemed so Alex like.

It was sort of similar to Katie and I's because the living room, kitchen, and dining room were in one big room. However, in his apartment, you could go straight ahead into the kitchen and dining room or go to the right to enter the living room.