chapter nineteen

November 16, 2018 [Friday]
•23 weeks left•

Alex and I were at the theater and slipped away from the group to go to the stage. We entered through the backstage door and were surprised to see the curtains drawn, revealing the house.

"This is incredible," I exclaimed as I let go of Alex's hand and dashed to the center of the stage. I looked around the house and couldn't keep a smile from spreading across my face.

"Turn around, let me take a picture of you," Alex said as he took out his phone. I turned my back to the audience and made the peace sign. Alex laughed softly, moving around like a photographer to get different angles.

"Another!" I yelled a fifth time, striking the strangest pose I could muster. Alex took more pictures of me before I ran up to his side. I took his phone and began scrolling through the pictures, laughing at my foolishness. "I look fabulous, right?"

"Of course," Alex nodded, despite the fact that the picture was of me with my eyes droopy from blinking. "This is my personal favorite."

"I think it's art museum worthy, don't you think?"

Alex shook his head, saying, "Even more than that, but I'd like to keep it for myself for safekeeping." He turned to face me and pressed his nose against mine.

I backed away, my gaze drawn back to his phone to avoid making eye contact. The giddy feeling I had around him had returned, and it was visible on my pink cheeks.

As I zoomed in on the theater in the background, I looked up from his phone to see it first hand. I couldn't believe that I was going to be performing in the exact same spot with hundreds of people watching.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked when we both went silent.

"This is just crazy. I'll be performing here soon, it's just surreal," I beamed, walking to the edge of the stage and sitting down, right next to the pit. Alex joined me and linked our arms together. "I know you've performed on this stage already and whatnot, but how do you feel about all of this?"

Alex sighed, looking out into the crowd in thought. It took him a few seconds to answer. "I'm actually pumped, to be honest," he shrugged, cracking a smile at me. "I mean, I'm stoked for opening night, but all the rehearsals and promos before it, it's going to be fun. And I'll get to watch you improve and become a star, so that excites me as well." I awed at his words, laying my head on his shoulder.

"You're the best, Alex. I'm so happy we met," I held his hand and gave it a quick squeeze.

"I'm happy we met too," He agreed. "You already made these rehearsals ten times better."

"Oh stop," I dragged out, earning chuckles from him.

For a good minute, we stared out at the house in a comfortable silence, until I felt Alex shuffle in his spot. I picked my head up from his shoulder and watched him take out his phone. He switched to the camera app and brought the phone in front of us.

"Smile," He instructed, leaning into me. I tilted my head at the screen, smiling brightly. I heard a few snaps, but before he could take another, I turned my head to press my lips to his stubble cheek. When I heard another snap, I pulled back to glance at his pink face.