Forty Six

"Ready Sarah?" I hear in my headphones. I raise a thumbs up as my other hand adjusts the headphone on my ear a bit. I can't hear much in this glass studio box, so I watch my cast friends and directors chat around. Alex is in the box next to me, but for some reason, I still feel nervous. He's been watching me since I stepped in the box and has been giving me reassuring smiles. He knew this was my first time in a recording studio. To me, this is a huge deal.

It's been a few days since I stormed out on Katie at the restaurant. I haven't seen her since either because she said it be best if she stayed at one of her cast member's house for a few days. I didn't argue because the image of her and Alex became fresh in my mind and I know I'd blow if I saw her one more minute.

Kris looks over at me and nods. He raises his baton at the orchestra as I bring my lips close to the microphone.

"You're invisible when you're sad
Clocks tick and phones still ring
The world carries on like mad
But nobody sees a thing
Whispering behind their hands
Lost for kinds words to say
Nobody understands
And everyone goes away" I sing, closing my eyes. For some reason, this song hits hard for me. I sometimes tear up singing it during rehearsals, but Timbers says it's okay. It fits with the scene. I never realize how many times I'm going to be crying a week. I cry or tear up during multiple scenes, so there'll be headaches waiting to happen. But, I drink a lot of water anyways.

"Folks carry on.. that's that
You're invisible when you're sad," I finish, sighing softly after.

"Holy crap
A ballad already?
And such a bold departure from the original source material!" I hear Alex exclaim in my headphones. I hold in my giggle as I look over at him. I love how he just interrupts my sad, serious song.

Both Alex and I stay where we are, staring at each other, waiting for instructions. He smirks slyly, before leaning in the microphone. I scrunch my eyebrows at him.

"Hello Sarah Holland," He whispers, but it sounds louder because of how close to the microphone he is. I chuckle and shake my head. I mimic his stance, leaning into the mic.

"Hi Alex Brightman," I giggle, biting my lip.

"Did I ever tell you that you have a beautiful voice?" He asks, lifting an eyebrow.

"Not that I know of," I frown. "You are really slacking on the compliments, dude. I'm disappointed." His expression drops at the sight of my frown.

"I'm sorry—"

"Sorry doesn't cut it Brightman," I stare him down. We kept contact for a good few seconds, before a voice joins the conversation.

"For your sake, I think you should compliment the girl," Kris interrupts. We both look over at his sly expression.

"Exactly," I agree with him. "Here, watch this," I tell Alex, before turning to Kris. "You're a good conductor. I'm so proud." I place a hand on my heart, holding back fake tears. Kris rolls his eyes, before chuckling.

"Thank you Sarah. You're a great actress," he compliments back. I gasp dramatically with a huge grin

"Thank you Kristopher," I nod at him.

"It's not—"

"It's your name today," I stop him. He rolls his eyes again and shakes his head at me. I chuckle at him, before turning back to Alex's box. "And don't think I forgot about you, mister." He smiles shyly, before blowing a kiss at me.