chapter thirty

The five minute call came on the loudspeaker, basically letting us know that we should start heading back to the house. I was still in my dressing room, staring blankly at the window across from me as I sat on the couch.

All the energy I had to do some acting, it was all drained out. I just wasn't in the mood anymore. I mean, it should've been easier because I was already feeling sad, so I was in Lydia mode, but I had to perform a whole song with Alex. Luckily, most of the interactions we had, they were in the Act Two songs and Timbers said we wouldn't be doing them that day.

I sighed and buried my head into my hands. I just wanted to have one good day. That whole 'altercation' shouldn't have gone the way it did. We agreed to talk about the whole mess afterwards so we'd be fine during rehearsals. And look how that turned out.

After a few seconds, I got up and stood in front of my mirror, trying to fix myself up a bit. I needed to look presentable and hide that I was crying at all. I ran my fingers through my hair, before pushing it behind my ears. I stood up straight and smirked, checking to make sure I was set.

My body immediately tensed as I heard Alex's door open and close. I looked back at my reflection and kept contact with my dark gloomy eyes.

Great job, Sarah. You really know how to make people mad.

I waited a few seconds by my door before actually leaving. I took a different route to the house to avoid catching up with Alex. The direction I went was the longer route, so I had to jog my way there.

When I did get to the house, I first tried to spot out where Alex was. Automatically, I caught him sitting with Rob, Leslie, Adam and Kerry. Of course, the people I usually sat with, he was with them too.

Instead of going to sit with them and act like nothing happened, I walked around to search for another group of people. I told myself to just catch Kerry up later, so she wouldn't think I was avoiding her. I mean, I was secretly pissed at her because she brought the topic up in the first place, but I knew she meant no harm. She didn't know I never said anything to Alex.

Everyone was really friendly, so I knew I had no problem sitting with whoever. I looked around as I slowly trailed down the aisle until I found Dana and Presley—two ensemble friends of mine. A smile grew on my face as I suddenly skipped over to the left side of the house and went up to them.

"Hey you two," I exclaimed, sliding into the seat next to Dana. Both of them turned to look at me and their eyes quickly lit up.

"Hey Sarah, what's up?" Dana spoke first.

I only shrugged, leaning back against the cushion of the chair. "Nothing much, I just wanted to sit with you guys. If that's okay?" I replied.

"Of course it is," Presley smiled, looking at me past Dana. Presley was the youngest cast member and one of the sweetest girls ever. She was also the understudy for Lydia, so we rehearsed together a few times. And sometimes we'd sit in each other's dressing room to talk. "You're always welcome to hang out with us," she laughed, Dana nodded in agreement.

"Thanks guys," I beamed. Just then, I flinched when I heard my name being yelled out. I turned around to a few rows behind me and I saw Kerry waving her hand, motioning for me to come over. All of them, including Alex, stared dead at me. I looked back at Kerry and smiled slightly, giving her a small wave back, before turning back around. I slouched slightly in my seat, feeling a bit embarrassed. I could already feel them talking about me, but I knew it wasn't anything bad, just curious of why I did that.

Timbers—from the stage—suddenly clapped his hands. "Alright everyone," he started, pausing to make sure we were all listening. "So, Eddie and I decided that we'll just be performing both Act One and Two songs today, no spoken dialogue. Also, no one needs to get into costumes, so we can get started right away," he explained. I rolled my lips in, groaning internally. I wasn't surprised the universe wanted to fuck with me. That just meant I also had to perform 'That Beautiful Sound' and 'Creepy Old Guy' with Alex. My day just couldn't get any worse.