chapter twenty six

As soon as I knocked on Kerry's door, it burst wide open. But instead of Kerry greeting me, I looked down to see her two daughters, Segi and Sumaya, with big grins on their faces.

"Sarah!" They squealed with loud gasps. My eyes widened as I dropped my bag and let them fall into my arms. I was only a bit taller than Segi, the eldest, because of my height, so I only bent my knees slightly.

Stroking their hair with my fingers one at a time, I chuckled and kissed their foreheads in hello. Kerry told me so much about them and their adoption. They came from Ethiopia and were the best things that happened to her. They FaceTimed Kerry one time during rehearsals and I had the chance to talk to them. They were the sweetest girls ever and I was probably more excited to see them than they were to see me.

When we broke apart, they dragged me right inside. As I took a few steps into her apartment, I was met with a smiling Kerry. But before I could speak, I was immediately pulled into a loving hug. Out of reflex, I started to laugh as I brought my arms around her neck.

She whispered, "I'm happy you came to me," as she held me tighter, not that I was planning on letting her go anytime soon. She used one of her hands to rub my back soothingly as she rocked us, telling me how worried she was when I called. She could tell I wasn't okay and needed a safe place to go to just by the tone of my voice.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go."

"No, it's perfectly fine, the girls and I were ecstatic when we heard you wanted to come. You can honestly move in if you'd like," she laughed as I stuffed my head into her neck. I giggled softly and gave her one more quick squeeze. I snuck in a low thank you, meaning it with everything I had.

"Where's Joey?" I asked, remembering her husband. I hadn't met Joey, but Kerry did tell me amazing things about him. I was happy she had someone like him, Kerry deserved the world.

I threw my bag over my shoulder as I followed Kerry around. "Joey is out of town to visit family, so it's gonna be a girls night," She explained with excitement in her voice. The girls, beside me, cheered ecstatically.

Kerry brought me into their guest room, opening her arms to present the space. "Make yourself comfortable. Me casa es tu casa," She spoke with a chuckle as I entered the room and looked around. The room was huge for a guest bedroom, it felt like a hotel.

"When you get into your pajamas, come to the living room. It's movie night," Sumaya exclaimed, tugging on my arm to get my attention. I glanced down at her and smirked.

"I'll be as quick as possible," I assured her, bending down to be at the same eye level. "Promise." She nodded rapidly, before they all walked out. I closed the door behind them and sighed loudly, flopping onto the bed. I covered my eyes with my arm, enjoying the few moments of quiet alone time. It was the time I needed to think.

I loved being at Kerry's house and I couldn't thank her enough for letting me stay the night, but I shouldn't of been there. I should've been at my apartment, not trying to avoid the problem.

I uncovered my eyes as I sat up to dig into my bag. I was quick with packing because the last thing I wanted was to bump into Katie, alone.

As I took out my phone, I noticed I had a handful of messages from Alex. I thought I'd read them, but I promised myself I'd try to enjoy the rest of my night. All that stuff could wait until later. And I was with Kerry and her girls, I didn't need to be upset.