Fifty

"Sarah, it should not take you fifteen minutes to put a dress on," Katie bangs on my door. I take another look at myself in the full mirror debating about the dress now. I feel my body just changed overnight because this dress does not look as good as it did when I first had it on. I think I might just take it off and wear a blouse and dress pants. "Sarah, what is going on in there?" I groan, before dragging myself over to my door and pulling it open.

"Now is not the time, Katie," I snap, going back to the mirror and trying to adjust it. I love the dress, but it doesn't look right on me anymore.

"What's going on?" She asks, walking over to stand next to me. "You look amazing in this dress, Sar." I shake my head with a groan, tugging at the sides to try to fix it. "No?"

"I look awful"

"What are you talking about? This dress is perfect for you"

"Maybe it's my hips. I think they squared overnight," I say more to myself. I hear Katie snort behind me, but I ignore it.

"Sarah, your hips look the same. I think I'd tell you if your hips squared," Katie says, pulling my hands away from my sides. That is true, Katie and I have a very honest relationship. If something looked bad on one of us, we'd tell each other. And honestly, I liked it. Getting a honest opinion is better than one that'll make you feel better.

"Are you sure? This dress doesn't hug my body right like it did in the store," I sigh, turning to the side.

"You look great, honeybun. Stop stressing about it," she stops me. "Let's do your hair and some light makeup, yeah?" I nod, letting her lead me to my bathroom. I put the toilet cover down and sit on it. Katie rummages under my sink to find my curler and my makeup pouch.

"Curled?" I ask, watching her.

"Just the ends, if that's okay," She looks over at me. I nod once and Katie starts working her magic. I end up playing some music on my phone to cover up the awkward silence.

~~~

"Ok, spin," she commands, moving from in front of me to my bed. I get up and brush my dress, before doing a little twirl, ending in a weird pose. I try to quickly fix it, but we both noticed it and start bursting into laughter.

"Anyways," I drag out, walking over to the mirror and lowly gasping. I look great! Katie curled the ends of my hair, but it's still long enough to reach my shoulder blades. Katie knows I'm not much of a makeup person, so all she did was add a nude lipstick to match my darkish pink lips, mascara to my long eyelashes, and a little eyeliner.

"So, whatcha think?" Katie asks, coming to stand behind me. I didn't even notice the huge smile that captured my lips or my fingers running through my hair.

"I look great," I chuckle, turning to look at her. "Thank you."

"It's really nothing, I didn't do much," she shrugs, looking away uncomfortably. She went in for a hug, but quickly stopped herself. I roll my eyes as pull her in for a side hug.

"Still, thanks for helping," I whisper. I can hear a smile creep on her face as she hugs me back.

"You're welcome."

"What time is it?" I ask as we pull away. Katie digs for her phone in her pocket and I sneak a peek to look. I notice her lock screen is still the picture of us from graduation. I was on her back and I had both of our hats balancing on my head as we both were in mid-laugh.

"It's 7:47," she answers, looking back up at me. "What time does the party start?"

"Eddie wants us to be there around 8 to 8:20," I reply, going into my closet to find a purse. "I probably should start heading there now." She shifts her weight to her other leg as she opens her mouth, but closes it again. I know what she wants to ask by her awkward stance.

"Isn't Alex coming to pick you up and walk with you there?" She coughs, trying to look anywhere, but at me.

"No, I'll be meeting him there," I answer, walking to my nightstand to retrieve my phone.

"Oh that's weird," she mutters. My head whips towards her. Her face pales a bit.

"What?"

"I—just—don't you think it's a little weird?"

"No?"

"How though? He's your date, so he should come and get you," she shrugs. "I mean, it's just not something I want you to go through. He should be a gentlemen and walk with you instead of just meeting you there." She waits for my response, rubbing her naked arm.

"Okay, well he's meeting me there and I'm fine with it, so that's happening," I roll my eyes, walking out of my room, Katie on my tail.

"I didn't mean to make you upset. I was just stating my opinion."

"I didn't say I was mad," I say, opening my phone.

Betelgeuse ;) - I'm outside, shortcake

Me - Be right out

I grab my jacket and slip on my flats. I don't want to be in heels all night, so I rather not wear them.

"I'm leaving," I call out, stuffing my phone and keys into my little purse.

"Have fun," Katie exclaims, trying to cover up her previous statement. I sneak out the door and shut it, before Katie can catch him. A smile immediately captures my face as I see my favorite guy.

"Hello pretty boy," I smirk, walking over to him as snaking my arms around his neck.

"Hey, shortcake," he duplicates my smirk. "You look amazing."

"Thank you. You don't look half bad yourself," I get out, before he leans in for a kiss.

"I missed that," He giggles, running his hands up and down my sides.

"Missed what?"

"This," he mumbles, leaning in again. Oh. "And this." He pulls me into an embrace, brushing my hair. I felt my cheeks heat as I hide my face in his chest.

"You know we were together yesterday," I look up at him, making no intentions of letting him go.

"Yeah, but the girls took you away last night and I didn't see you all day today," He whines childishly.

"True, but now we have tonight together to make it up," I cheer him up.

"You're staying over at mine," He pulls away to look at me clearly.

"Do I have a choice?" I tease with a smirk. Instantly, he shakes his head and I scoff. "That's not fair, now is it Brightman? Ask." He huffs and reaches for my hands.

"Shortcake, will you do me the honor of staying over at mine tonight?" He asks in a posh accent. I bite my lip, covering up my laugh and look up.

"Hmm, you'll have to give me a minute to think about that," I pat his shoulder.

"Yeah yeah, whatever," He rolls his eyes, pulling me back in again.

"Ok, Alex stop, we need to go," I cover his puckered lips with my hand. His eyebrows scrunch, before I feel his tongue touch my palm. I squeal, immediately yanking my hand away. "You're so gross."

"Ouch," he covers his heart.

"Shut up, let's—"

"Sarah?" The door creaks open from behind me. My eyes widen as they whip over towards Katie. We have a quick stare down, before her eyes wander towards Alex. "You."

"You," I hear Alex scoff. The tension between them is obvious as they lock eyes, almost forgetting I'm here. Oh great.

[5/17/20]