chapter forty

When Leslie pushed the house doors open, we caught Timbers in mid-sentence, pacing around on stage. He paused when he noticed us from the back of the room.

"Hey, you four, come on in," He spoke through a microphone, his voice booming and bouncing against the walls. His hand hovered over his eyes due to the lights pointed at him. "I was just getting started, so you didn't miss anything."

Many eyes were drawn to us as we walked down the aisle to our seats. When they realized who we were, they lost interest and returned their attention back to Timbers. Alex shook our intertwined hands, before releasing his own. "I'll see you on stage," He whispered, kissing my cheek.

"Okay, yeah." His stare lingered on me for a long second. I lifted a curious brow. "What?"

"We'll talk more later," was all he left me with, before going back to his seat with Rob and Adam. I stood alone for a moment, watching him walk away. A small smile sat on my lips. The last time I was in that room, I was sulking in my own misery. It was so relieving that things were different, and I had hoped it would be that way for a long time.

Pulling me out of my own thoughts were Leslie and Kerry. They made no attempt to hide their obvious giggles as they stared back at me. I rolled my eyes, catching up with them.

"I hate both of you," I groaned, squeezing past them to get to our seats. Kerry followed close behind me, holding onto my shoulders and leaning her chest against my back.

"You two are just the cutest," She cooed. "I'm so glad you both worked things out."

Leslie spoke from behind Kerry, "Yeah, I just can't believe today was the day. With the way you were acting before you ran out—"

I cringed, waving my hands to stop her. "I know, I know," I chuckled, and so did they. "I have a hard shell."

"But, he broke it," Kerry chimed in, humming softly. I stepped to the side to let them scoot down the row first. I took the opportunity to cast a glance over at Alex, who was engaged in a conversation with Rob. He hit his chest and let out a quiet laugh, making sure he wasn't heard by Timbers.

My lips curved inwards, warning to stretch into a wide smile. Alex looked different, for some reason. It could've been because we were ignoring each other and I hadn't given his face a good look in a while. Or maybe it was his aura. I could make out his hazel eyes from afar. They seemed brighter, and not from the house lights.

I assumed my intense stare crawled on his skin. His brows furrowed, before darting in my direction. When we met eyes, it was like I was meeting him for the first time again. He made my legs shift weight from uneasiness. My hands held each other to control the slight shake. A noticeable tickle ran up my neck that had my shoulders lifted.

Alex was someone I had promised to not take for granted. He let me walk all over him, and I never understood why. As I thought back, I knew I didn't deserve him. He didn't need my stubbornness, even if he thought he could handle it. He didn't need my craziness, nor my sensitivity that always spoke for me.

But I was selfish. So, I wanted to hold onto him for as long as I could.

"Yeah, I'm grateful for him," I smiled softly, not breaking away from his confused gaze. He tried to read my lips, wondering what I was trying to say.

I shook my head at him, waving shortly. He squinted his eyes as a smirk slid across his lips. I responded with a chuckle, before meeting up with Leslie and Kerry. When I approached them, stuck in a conversation, I sat down and breathed in deeply. Timbers was finishing up his speech, as well as giving out instructions.

Kerry slithered her arm around my neck and rested the side of her head against my own. "You okay?" I nodded in response, reaching for her hanging hand sitting on my shoulder and holding it. "Ready to do some Broadway things, Lydia Deetz?"