The Lies That Bind (Chapter 24)

This whole situation with Arizona has got my head spinning. I'm kind of fearful that his parents will find out that we aren't really dating and hate me. Or think me childish and terrible for lying to them and having the audacity to waltz my way into their house like everything is fabulous.

I didn't bother telling my own family about what I was doing because it wasn't my family that needed deceiving. I don't think they'd believe that we were dating anyway.

Funny enough, my fake boyfriend hasn't contacted me since we last spoke at the park.

Typical.

I had been minding my own beautiful business at my parent's house, sitting in the kitchen at the island, phone in one hand and a soup spoon full of Honey Bunches of Oats about to be shoveled into my mouth in the other.

I was aimlessly scrolling through Instagram like I do every morning. Double tapping a few pictures I liked and ignoring the rest, speed watching people's stories, and gazing at the cute celeb guys on my Discovery page who will never know I exist.

I take a moment to put my phone aside so I could stuff my face full of my favorite cereal, then resume. I wasn't too sure what I was going to do with my day off from work. There was no Maya here for me to hang out with and my siblings are at work themselves. Maybe I'll just relax today. There's nothing that says that I am obligated to go out and find things to busy me.

I think I'll fill my day with Netflix and food. I've got some leftover takeout and chocolate hazelnut gelato that I am excited to over indulge in.

Although, I don't get to finish my thought because some heathen knocked on the door.

I reluctantly put down my spoon and phone, push aside my half-eaten Oats that would surly become soggy and squishy by the time I make it back, and sluggishly walk my way to the front door.
I whipped it open only to see "the little lost sheep".

"Well if it isn't my darling fake boyfriend." There was no jovial smile on my lips, just my usual resting bitch face.
How was this guy going to practically beg me to return to his life and pretend to be something I'm not, nor will ever be, and then completely ghost me. Why are men this way?

"Nova, hi. I really want to apologize to you, but I know you wouldn't want to hear it. I'm always being such a bad friend to you."

"Ari, why did you ghost me after asking me to help you? I'm completely in the dark about what it is exactly you want me to do and for how long. I tried calling you several times but to no avail, so I gave up. Figured you must've come clean to your family or something."

He looked towards the ground where my feet stood, but picked his head back up to speak, "Again, I really want to apologize to you. I'm sorry for my neglectful actions. I have just been trying to come up with a plan of what to do and how to continue from here.
It's why I've been M.I.A, but I understand that my excuse is no excuse as to why I haven't talked to you or tried to contact you back. May I come in so I can discuss a few things with you?"

I glare at him contemplating if I really wanted to go through with this. This could be my out right here!

"Get the fuck in here you bitch," I tell him rolling my eyes and stepping aside for him to walk through the threshold.

Ari smiled at me and chuckled, "Never change that attitude," he said pinching my arm.

"Trust me, you'll get more of it the more you keep acting like this," I say after shutting the door and returning to my cereal bowl to see my Oats are indeed, now soggy.

I become increasingly upset because that was the last of the cereal, and empty the remaining contents of the bowl into the garbage disposal. Soggy cereal is just about as bad as melted ice cream.