All That Glitters Is Shit (Chapter 39)

Ari seemed to have been taking a really long time to return to the house after I called him. I don't know where this park is located, but I can't imagine it being very far, although, he was understandably pretty upset when he left the house. He could probably walk for miles with how angry he was.

I didn't get to hear the entire conversation that he and his dad exchanged, but I saw the tail end of the argument, and it was scary. Mr. Matthews looked like the protruding vain in the side of his head was ready to dislodge itself and finally be free.

Ari looked so dissatisfied, scared, and furious all at the same time. I wanted to run to him, but Mrs. Matthews made it outside first and told the rest of us to stay inside the house. I even wanted to run to him when we saw him leaving the deck and walking off towards the perimeter of the backyard, but Dakota told me to just give him space.

Instead, I tried to call him, which he ignored, so I sent a text as a second resort.

The entire time that he was gone, I couldn't help but worry. I stayed with the siblings and paced back and forth in the hallway while running scenarios on what might've been said before Ari left. Theories on where he might be now and how he was doing. Was he safe? Was he going to attempt something? Will he come back?

After an hour, I tried calling him again but to no avail.

Straight to voicemail.

I couldn't hear his present voice, so I opted to listen to his voicemail over and over to try and calm myself down.

"Hello? Hellooo? Can you hear me? Try turning up your volume and putting the phone a little closer.... WHUZZ UUUPPP!!! AHAHAHA! Just kidding! I'm not actually on the phone. Leave me a message after the little beep sound and I'll get back to you as quick as I can."

Ari's voicemail was so stupid, and I remember the first time I fell for it. I was so pissed because he yelled in my ear. I didn't speak to him for at least two days. I told him he needed to change it because what would happen if important people needed to get in touch with him and he didn't answer?
That was at least two years ago.

Man, when in the hell did I become so attached to this guy? How did I become so stuck on him? I can't believe I've been having sex with Arizona Matthews.
Maya is gonna clown me.

But I like him. I like him a lot. I can't believe that one either, honestly, but it's my new normal. I fuckin' like Arizona Matthews and I'm worried about him.

Another thirty minutes went by and I decided to text him that I was going to be in the apartment when he came back

Another thirty minutes went by and I decided to text him that I was going to be in the apartment when he came back. I think he would appreciate the separate space from the rest of the family.

I was starting to get sleepy though. We've had a full and eventful day and I could barely keep my eyelids open to wait for him. I think I'll just get under the covers and watch a little Netflix while I wait for him.