"Death of a Bachelor" (Chapter 45)

After Maya was popped over the back of the head by her very irritated mother because of her crude comment in front of her young cousin, we were able to settle down and finish getting prepped for the wedding. We only had about an hour till the guests started arriving and an hour and half till showtime.

I was finished up earlier than Maya and some of the others, so I decided to roam the halls to do last minute checks with the wedding planners to make sure things were going to run smoothly and as perfect as they could.

While checking over some of the last details with one of the planners, I turned a blind corner and ran into the groom himself.

"Well, speak of the charming devil," I said jokingly and smiling at the soon to be husband of my best friend.

"Nova! Hey! You look stunning!"

He was correct if I do say so myself. Maya refused to be one of those brides that made her bridesmaids look like Cinderella's stepsisters.

"My wedding is going to be gorgeous! I don't need any fugly lookin' bitches messing up my wedding photos. My girls WILL be just as beautiful as me on my day. Actually, ya'll will be a little less cute because it's my muthafuckin' day," she said.

My dress is an off the shoulder summery, long, flowy, ocean blue dress with small sienna colored flowers that line the bottom. It was such a pretty dress that I plan on wearing again at some point.

Maya wanted to make sure that we could all reuse the dresses again. She hated those brides that pick dresses that they knew were never going to be worn again. She was not one for wasting money on something so frivolous.

"Thanks! My dress has pockets!" I say excitedly sticking in my hands and showing it off for Dakota to understand my enthusiasm.

He chuckles and says, "Oh snap girl! Pockets?! I know how much girls love pockets in dresses."

"Hell yeah we do! You're looking dapper yourself. Loving this James Bond jet-black color on you with the contrast of the sienna colored flower in your lapel."

"Thank you, thank you! Yeah, Ari helped me....uh, well, my brother helped me pick the color of the tux," he said nervously.

"It's ok to talk about him Dak. Just because the two of us haven't really spoken, doesn't mean you have to tiptoe around me. I haven't seen him in years and haven't really spoken to him in almost just as long."

"I know. I'm sorry about bringing him up though, but if you say you're cool about it, then good. You know he's here, right? He's one of my groomsmen and will be walking down the isle with Maya's friend Samara, but I made sure that the two of you won't be close to each other. I know you weren't able to make it to the rehearsal or the dinner."

He's right about that. I wasn't able to make it to the rehearsal or the dinner because I had a family member fall ill. Not Corona, ill, but ill none the less. So, I didn't have the "pleasure" of being "graced" by the youngest Matthews son's presence to be able to know when he was going to be walking or where he was going to be standing.

Maya did tell me however, that on the rehearsal day, he seemed like he was looking around a bit for someone. She also informed me that some of her bridesmaids were practically drooling and fawning over him.

"I mean, why wouldn't he be one of your groomsmen? I appreciate you taking me into consideration Dakota."

"It's the least I could do considering the last time you two saw each other. I just want to make sure everyone is comfortable. He's doing a lot better though, you know. Actually, a hell of a lot better. He's like a new person now. I'm really proud of him. You'd be really proud of him too."