Longing, Lusting, Loving Looks (Chapter 46.2)

*Author's Note: It goes without saying to always practice safe sex, peeps. Which means, you guessed it, there is a sexual content warning on his chapter. Things get kinda steamy and raunchy. lol

*Also, listen to Raleigh Ritchie's Bloodsport and Body by Sinead Harnett for this chapter.

I decided to stop being a weirdo and abandon my quest of looking for Ari, and to instead hunt for food like a ravenous mouse.
I had barely eaten all day because I was too busy getting ready and making sure Maya was ready on time. It was now my time to indulge.

Walking into the reception hall, I started my trek to the back of the room where the ginormous kitchen was hidden. I spotted a few trays of incomplete appetizers and grabbed a few of whatever the hell they were. I didn't even care that they were not fully composed.

Trying not to be caught by the callous head chef, I discreetly moon-walked my way back out of the bustling room and accidentally bumped into a tall unshifting, lean figure.

"Oof! Oh, I'm so sorry—" I say turning around and coming face to face with the illustrious Mr. Matthews who was dressed to the nines.

"Mr. Matthews! I'm so sorry!"

"Nova, hi! It's alright dear. What were you doing in the kitchen?"

I'm pretty certain he already knew what I was up to. I'm sure Mr. Matthews remembers that I love snacking. I used to constantly eat their snacks whenever I would come by.

I glanced down at my clutched hands and quickly put them and the evidence behind my back like a caught in the act four-year-old.

"Oh, nothing. I was just checking on things in there to make sure it was running smoothly and on time. Can't afford any hangry people here!"

He smiles and chuckles knowing full and well that I had grabbed snacks, but didn't mention it.

"Uh huh," he chuckles, "It was good to see you again Nova, you look absolutely eye-catching today. I've got to check on the DJ and the sound, so I'll catch you a little later alright? You should find my wife and say hello to her too," he says smiling.

"I'll be sure to do that," I say, using my crumb-crusted hand to wave goodbye. I hadn't seen Mr. Matthews since the incident. I wonder how he is doing and if he ever repaired his relationship with his youngest son.

Huh.

I pulled out one of my snacks that looked like it was in the making to be bruschetta and popped it into my mouth and looked around the room for the table with my and Carter's name placards.

There was a table towards the front of the room near the stage where Maya and Dakota would be sitting that had my name placement. I popped the other snack (apparently a cherry tomato) into my mouth and began pulling out my seat when I heard a voice behind me.

"Looks like we'll be sitting at the same table."

I knew that voice. It was a voice I hadn't heard in years but could never forget. It was still the same deep velvety smooth and confident voice that used to send shivers down my spine. And it still did.

My body slightly shivered and tingled. I turned to see Ari smiling at me while having one hand in his pocket and the other by his side.

"Really? I hadn't even noticed, but I guess I know it now," I said back.

"Are those some of the appetizers in your hand?" Ari glances at my hand and starts laughing.

"Don't snitch on me like that! I'm hungry!" I say laughing and tossing the rest of my treasures on the decorative plate in front of me.