A Matthews Family Vacation (Chapter 29)

"So, let me get this straight. You and Ari have started kissing each other???" Maya asked bewildered.

I was back in my new home city for the time being at my apartment that I share with Maya. She herself ended up going to visit some family for a few days and had been back for a few hours now, so I updated her on the later part of my trip.

"I mean, we're not making out or anything like that. We just decided that if we're going to be pretending to be a couple, that we have to act like one. Wouldn't your family be a little suspicious if you brought your new boyfriend around them and they never saw you guys displaying affection to one another?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Ok, right, so we just kiss each other on the cheek or on the lips. It's not a big deal. We aren't, like, all over each other or anything. We've actually kind of become used to it and just kind of do it. Even when we aren't around the family."

Maya looks slightly confused but shrugs her shoulders like she couldn't be bothered by it anymore.

"So, what's it like?"

"Kissing Ari?"

"Yeah. Knowing you, as soon as ya'll started doing it the first few times, I'm sure you laughed."

I laugh at the fact that my friend knows me so well.

"I definitely did. At least twice. Ari was so mad at me. Hahaha. Kissing him was kinda weird at first because, you know, it's Ari. But he has nice lips. They're well taken care of and soft, but not super soft like someone who is always licking their lips. Gross. No, moreso like someone who applies chapstick at least twice a day. He didn't do anything extra, he just kissed me. He's a good kisser. But anyway, the dinner went well too."

"Oh yeah, you did briefly tell me that you had to go over to their house for a dinner. You were like a reverse Guess Who. Did Mr. Matthews act like Bernie Mac towards you?" Maya says laughing and moving our conversation from the kitchen, to the couch so she could rest her tired feet.

"No of course not. Their family has always liked me. Although, if they find out all of this is a sham then they may not. They just asked some questions and our thoughts on things. They even asked how Remi felt about all this."

"Yikes."

"Yeah. Then Georgia, you know her, always asking those embarrassing questions because she likes to see people squirm. She asked if Ari and I had sex yet."

"Double yikes!!" Maya was throwing her head back and laughing now.

I'll admit, it was pretty funny to see Mrs. Matthews' face when the youngest sibling asked that question. It was still equally embarrassing for Ari and I because we didn't even discuss what to say if people asked about our sex life. I guess we'll just tell them it's none of their business.

"That's so Georgia! I love that girl. She's never been one to shy away from asking the important questions. She's gonna make for a bombass reporter when she finishes college," Maya says finally settling down.

"Then there's the family trip I have to go on with them. On one hand I'm like, yippee a free trip, but on the other hand I'm like oh no I have to spend a whole week trying to keep up with a lie."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about the trip thing. I mean it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you guys are showing enough affection towards each other when needed and go over what you guys will say when people ask questions about the relationship, and everything should go smooth. Just treat it as hanging out with your friend and his family."

"Yeah, you're right. Hopefully it will go smoothly."