A change of Attitude (3-Uziel)

"Mr. Hale has given a go signal for the delivery of goods to Country S."

"Deflect his arrangements... I'll take care of the rest." I muttered, my knuckles turning white as I cut the call.

They underestimate me too much. I need to make another warning... This time, something worth remembering.

I changed into my suit and stepped out into the living room. I was about to head straight for the door but decided for a split second to scan the area for a blond head. Instead of the person, however, an empty minimalist living room greeted me, still stellar and spotless as the day I first came here. I turned my head and walked out of the apartment without looking back.

I had my doubts when I received a notification that I suddenly have a roommate. As far as I can remember, I never opened my unit in the market to look for one, and I was sure I paid all the necessary fees to ensure it would stay that way. That was why I had a strong suspicion that she followed me here, but when she spoke indifferently, I wavered.

That night on the day she arrived, I contacted Kassis, who I had entrusted with arranging my accommodations last month. He sounded confused and checked the contracts he had regarding the apartment, discovering too late that I had signed my name on a document saying I was looking for another tenant. In the end, it was actually me who made a mistake.

Kassis asked me if I wanted to move out, but I rejected the offer. I need to confirm something first before I make a decision.

I snatched my phone again and called a trusted subordinate as I drove to El Conglomerate Headquarters. It's a company I managed to establish without having to stain my hands.

"Been so long since you called, hmm?" His lazy tone rolled in my ear.

"I need you to keep an eye on someone."

"Oh..? Keep an eye as in..?" He asked, sounding a little excited.

"Simply act as my surveillance... And eliminate anyone who appears to be a threat to the target."

"...Name?"

"Rui... Rui Hughes. I'll send you the details later." I muttered and quickly ended the call before he could ask unnecessary questions.

As soon as I made my appearance at the entrance of El Conglomerate, Kassis greeted me by the door.

"Welcome back, CEO Axton."

I nodded. "Brief me as soon as we reach my office."

Everyone paused to greet me as I walked to the elevator but I was not in the mood to acknowledge them. My temperament has deflated to an unbearable degree.

"Boss, according to our intel, it's confirmed that the man who broke in the lady's previous apartment is one of The Widow's men." Kassis spoke as soon we entered the confines of my office.

The Widow..? Why am I not surprised? I only raised a brow before looking apathetic again.

I sat on my chair and looked at the stacks of documents that were gathered on my desks like a mountain range. Still, I forced myself to listen to Kassis' words before working on the papers.

"However, it is unknown who tipped them about your supposed relationship with the owner of the unit..."

I needed to make sure Rui Hughes is not a threat, so I had my men investigate her recent activities and the people she'd been in contact with.

'If you kick me out, I'm going to die!'

I was wondering what secret she was hiding. I had a preconceived idea that she may have had some shady business with the Widow (an old organization, too proud to accept that it's already in ruins) but Kassis reported negative results. She'd lived a normal life with no recorded interactions with the mafia until recently when she approached me.

If that is so, they might've tried to kill her to spite me from the recent turf negotiations. Those cretins really love to dig their own graves.

"Who gave the order?" I threw the most important question.

"...It was Judas." He replied a little carefully. My eyes narrowed at the mention of The Widow's Boss.

I've been had.

I made quite an embarrassing miscalculation. The Widow's intel team still has quite the connections at present. Though they are wrong about one thing. Rui Hughes is not someone who could influence the least bit of my decisions or actions. Her death wouldn't make me bat an eyelash. Nevertheless, I made an important deal, and I need to keep my side of the bargain. Rui Hughes can't die.

I let out a low and somber chuckle as I leaned back on my chair.

"...Boss, what do you want to do about this..?" Kassis, my right-hand man, asked from the shadows.

"Let them wag their tail for a little longer... I don't believe that spineless man could have known that piece of information all by himself."

"Boss, you mean..?" Kassis look shocked at the sudden development. "You suspect there is a survivor from the coup d'etat ten years ago?"

"I trust you'll find the source, soon." My eyes lingered on him a little longer than necessary.

"...Yes, boss."

I nodded. "Well then... For the mundane matters?" I sighed as I waited to hear his report about the company's status.

He proceeded to inform me about it as detailed as it could possibly get, but my mind was on a completely different matter.

How vexing. If only I didn't make that deal, I wouldn't even care whether she dies or not.

When I first saw her, I was a little surprised but that was all it was. She was just a familiar face from the past. An insignificant character that didn't hold a candle to the women I entangled myself with all throughout the years. So then... why exactly did I act so differently at that moment??

Her innocent laugh as she danced to the kitchen to cook her breakfast made its way through the walls in my head. Not only did I eat food from her spoon but I made her cook a portion for me. What was I thinking?? My jaws clenched as I erased those thoughts immediately.

It's not like me to linger on useless sentiments. Anyway, it won't happen again.

***

A/N: Edited

A/N: Said every ML ever, I know. Don't come at me for my lack of originality. 🙏

If you're loving it so far, please share some love for this plebian author at:

buymeacoffee.com/lenrai

Thank you!