Rotten Lemon

Uziel!

"What..?"

"Are you the new cleaning staff?"

...New cleaning staff? I stared at him, bewildered.

"Well. Whatever... I'm sorry I was late since I had to go to the bathroom." He looked a little amused as he stared down at me. I wonder if he heard all of that a while back and thought I'm crazy.

"Here. The keys are all yours. Make sure to clean the rooms properly." He then turned around to leave.

"Wait! I-"

I didn't know why I took the keys. I shouldn't even be here...

"Right. I forgot to say. The fourth floor is off limits."

"No. Actually-"

His phone blew off, drowning my voice. Without further delay, he left after giving me an okay sign as if saying it would all be fine. Who was he, anyway? A caretaker? 

...He wasn't Uziel. Obviously...  I let out a mocking laughter. How could it be him? There's no way Uziel would be here. He's... Dead.

I stared at the keys in my hands. This... What am I going to do with these..?

A few seconds later, I was shaken by a muffled cry in the interior.

I looked up, staggering at the height of the ceiling. What is that..? It was faint but someone was definitely screaming nonstop... Not long after, a man came running down the stairs, looking pallid.

"Fuck... Fuck! I did not sign up for this!" He looked a little roughed up. As if he fought with someone and lost. Sweat dripped down his chubby face as he tried to fix his glasses on his nose bridge. One lens was shattered and it looked a little crooked.

"E-Excuse me... What is happening...?" 

As soon as he reached ground level and took note of my presence, he had immediately warned me to get out.

"You'll get hurt if you don't leave! C'mon! We need to leave, lady!" He even tried to pull me with him but I shook his hands off.

"No. Until you tell me what's going on, I will not leave! Are there still people upstairs?" My previous predicament was slightly pushed back by the sudden suspense. Is it one of Uziel's enemies...? Are they here to ruin his funeral...? Or maybe... exact revenge by killing all those people outside?

"It's not something we can easily handle!"

"No! We need to help them!" I snapped. I can't let them destroy Uziel's hardwork just like that... I should inform Kassis immediately. I took my phone out of my bag to call him but realized later on that I don't have his number. 

"Fuck. I don't care anymore. You can go if you want." The man looked at me as if I was crazy before running out anxiously. 

"Wait! At least call someone who can help! Do you know Kassis!?" I called out but he had already gone out. 

I gulped as I heard another scream yet again. Dear god... I fumbled through my phone, remembering I have Sebastian's number so I called him instead. If he's here, then it will be a lot easier. 

"Hello?" It was a good thing he quickly answered. 

"Hello. Are you attending the funeral?" I asked as I started going up the stairs after putting the keys in between my fingers. 

"Yeah... On my way-"

"Please make it fast. I think someone's here for revenge." 

"What?" His tone went serious all of a sudden. "In the funeral? Right now?" 

"No... I'm inside the manor. I heard screams so I went inside. I thought I was just imagining things but someone came down the stairs. He didn't look too good." 

"Where is Kassis?" 

"Outside... He's carrying out the ceremony. I wanted to contact him first but I don't have his number. I could have gone out but that would take too much time. If you have his number. Please call him. I'm worried..." 

"Okay. I'm about to park my car. Go outside and guard the door. Don't let anyone in." 

"...Okay." 

The call ended but I didn't heed his words and continued climbing the stairs anyway. My conscience couldn't let me ignore it. Those screams sounded heart wrenching, I could only imagine what was being done to the person. Sebastian was going to come in a few minutes so if I could at least stall a bit of time until then... 

It would be fine... right? 

As I reached the third floor, the sounds became clearer. I clenched my fist as I held on the pepper spray on one hand. I heaved for another flight of stairs. I was on the fourth floor now. A bare and gloomy long hallway greeted me. At the end of it was a door... The source of the screams.  

Although it had finally stopped, but it was definitely coming from there... My worry grew for the other person. Had he lost consciousness..? 

Or...

My hands and knees began to tremble as I slowly approached the door. Now that I'm here, I'm starting to think maybe I was being a bit reckless? Afterall, if this was someone from the mafia, would I have any chance at all? What if he has a gun? I nibbled on my lip as I thought back to the screams. No... If there was a tiny possibility that I could help someone by surprising the hostile party, then I'd rather do that. I'm already here anyway. 

I nodded as I held in my breath. 

Just as I was a foot away, the door opened and I was swiftly dragged inside by strong arms.  It made me scream as I blindly pressed on the pepper spray. I didn't realize the room was so dark like this. It was a little hard for my eyes to adjust to the lighting condition as I came from a brightly lit environment.

"Let me go! The police are coming!" I tried to threaten my attacker before proceeding to scratch his arms with the keys in my other hand realizing he was behind me but he had easily and quickly disarmed me. In a matter of seconds, my weapons (if they were even qualified to be called one) were hurled somewhere in the floor. 

Shit. 

"Who are you...? Didn't the last person relay my instructions properly?" The gruff voice asked. It was hoarse and scratchy. Dangerous...

"W-well... Th-that person wasn't exactly in a state where he could relay instructions properly..-?" I inhaled sharply as I felt a sharp cold metal pointed at my neck. I was hoping I could delay the time even more by rambling but I couldn't really do that now that he was directly holding a weapon against me. 

Is that a knife..? 

"Where is Kassis?" 

I blinked at the question. 

Where is Kassis...? 

***

A/N: Where are you Kassis?