Wounded Dignity(1)

Ever since that day, I made sure to mind my presence around him. And yet, why did this happen..??

I stared at the damage I've done in the kitchen, my mind already predicting my future. Would he get angry? Would he kick me out? Or would he finally act on his murderous gazes and kill me? In cold blood..?

My sight remained trained on the mess. Before I knew it, my hands slowly lifted themselves to the counter like they have a life of their own. I touched the soot on it and furiously rubbed it on my face and body.

There's no way I can let that happen! Even though I feel somewhat pathetic that I have to do something like this to survive...

I have to look like I almost died in the fire. I decided the pitiful act is definitely the best way to work around this situation!

I took my hair and put some soot on it, as well. After I was contented with how dirty and homeless I look, I immediately went to the living room and knelt down facing the door.

It's already six P.M., He's going to arrive any time now. When I heard the sound of the door accepting the keycard, I held in my breath and pinched my thighs as hard as I can to gather moisture in my eyes. Even though I'm not his type, I'm confident that with my tears coupled with this beautiful innocent face, he'd surely feel some pity...

Right?

"Wuuwu... I don't know what happened..! I suddenly fainted and when I woke up, the kitchen was on fire...!"

I wailed a bit, and when he didn't say anything yet, I decided to continue performing. I turned my face at an angle where he could easily see the tears and made my shoulders tremble even more.

"I really tried to put out the fire, I almost died, but the damage was already done... Huuhuuk." I sniffed and wiped the tears that rolled down my cheeks.

Amazing. It's truly amazing how fear can make you reach new heights. I didn't know I'm this good of an actress..! If I have two more hands, they'd probably be clapping right now. And if I had two more heads, they'd probably bump heads for such naivete.

My play was momentarily disrupted when I heard a loud snort— the sound you make when you try to suppress a laughter. I looked up curiously and saw not only Uziel but another man who looked like he was about to burst out laughing.

"Umm... Wh-who?" I asked, pausing abruptly as fear gripped my heart when I realized who the man was after assessing his characteristics. That red hair as well as the cross earrings. Lilac Suzeche, one of Uziel's most trusted ally who carries out the most gruesome missions. Contrary to the gentle aura he exudes, the inside is as grim as can be!

He finally guffawed, throwing me off balance. What's so funny..?

"Goodness..! Uziel, my dear friend, you can't let a beauty stay on the floor that long, ah." He patted the man on his back but Axton merely passed me by with his signature frosty look, completely unaffected by my theatrics.

I underestimated the enemy... His defenses are impenetrable.

Lilac shook his head at Uziel's actions and came in front of me to offer his hands instead with a friendly smile.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Lilac, but you can call me darling." He winked at me and slightly widened his smile even more.

I couldn't help but cringe, making him laugh again. Even before when I was Leila Cato, I really hate this type of care-free ladies' man.

"I was joking, I was joking. Here, let me pull you up."

I reluctantly put my hands in his, trying to act oblivious of his identity. Just as I stood up, thinking about how I should greet him, he confessed something that shook my world, down to the most insignificant corner.