Patience is a Virtue

Kassis sat rather rigidly in the living room as he waited eagerly for his boss. He was provided with a very detailed instruction about what to discuss with the debtor in the bizarre contract he was instructed to write months prior. Habitually, the boss would only notify him that the other party has breached the contract and to handle it accordingly, but this time was different and Kassis has an inkling it involves the 'she' his boss has mentioned before. Looking at the signature, he now has discovered the name of the debtor. Rui Hughes.

He'd seen her once before. The woman who all caught them off guard when she hugged Uziel Axton in a fit of excitement, evident in her green limpid eyes. It was in front of the company, which had quickly made a headline in the news. Kassis could never forget since he was the one who had to take care of the aftermath. 

Nevertheless, as he sat there contemplating about the matter at hand, he couldn't help but wonder how she managed to track the boss' current address. The boss has always been stalked countless times and had grown tired of relocating from his private houses to condo units to the point that he had given Kassis an ultimatum.

That's why this time, Kassis made sure to use a pseudo name for his boss in the papers when he finally managed to find a unit under a company that held no connections to the family businesses of the women the boss had slept with. Unfortunately, the apartment complex only had one available unit which is the double bedroom he's currently renting. It's fortunate the boss has no profound attachments to luxury residences so he transferred without any qualms.

With these circumstances, he could understand if it were the three women, Vivian, the meddlesome police woman and Cheska given their family background but this Rui Hughes...? She's just a mere orphan, isn't she?

At that moment, the door opened and Kassis looked up.

Slender figure, no fashion sense, stressed, disheveled. All these leader head arrows appeared as Kassis stared at the woman. Nevertheless, she indeed is attractive, having an outward appearance that one can not easily find just by strolling the streets.

She had walked in listlessly but as soon as her eyes landed on him, her back straightened and a frown appeared on her forehead.

Kassis diverted his gaze to his boss questioningly who returned his stare with an aura of displeasure looming over him.

...What did I do? Kassis gingerly thought as he looked elsewhere.

"Have a seat." The boss eventually shifted his attention to the woman, but there was still quite an amount of threatening atmosphere being aimed at Kassis.

He decided it would be best to remain silent and observe the situation first in order to come up with the best way of dealing with the matter.

To Kassis' surprise the man actually tried to escort the lady to the chair but she deliberately evaded the boss' hands and glared at him with a brazenness Kassis wouldn't dare summon in front of the same person she's glaring at.

"So, what is it?" The woman, or rather, Rui Hughes looked at him as if she couldn't wait to get this over with.

It seems her boldness is getting stronger the longer she stood there. Kassis casually studied the boss to assess his mood, expecting him to be at his last thread of patience but he surprisingly looks... dejected.

"Why don't we have a cup coffee while we talk this over, Miss Hughes." Kassis could see his boss brooding behind the lady and instantly offered her the seat across him with a motion of his hands. It seems he has to act in his best manner.

"Thanks but I like to stand when I talk to people." She refused with an overwhelmingly defensive aura.

Something must have happened on the way to cause such an obvious display of distrust.