Am I really your friend..?

A few minutes after our encounter, we settled for a coffee shop not far from where we met.

I was a little surprised that Cheska Perkinsons didn't reject my choice. I was so sure she'd wrinkle her nose and say she would never enter a shabby establishment but that didn't happen.

We slowly drank our coffee in silence, a sullen aura taking over the table as time ticked. I wonder what happened to her? The book didn't really talk about her much. In fact, the author just stopped mentioning her as soon as she decided to stop pursuing the male protagonist at the latter part of book one.

"I'm sorry for stalking you."

Well... That was out of the blue.

"Mm..." I just muttered as we looked out into the street through the full length glass wall beside our table. It was a busy hour for commuters as it was pretty much still early in the morning.

"I just thought you were amazing when you shouted at me without holding back in the train station."

Huh? I tilted my head at the woman in front of me. She looked sad, sitting like that with slumped shoulders.

"Amazing..?" What a way to describe that situation.

She nodded. "Honestly, I'm not really that elegant... I talk coursely. And I haven't yet mastered walking properly..."

...The problem of heiresses, huh?

"The truth is... I was actually only a substitute for the dead daughter of the Perkinsons family."

What? Something like this is actually hiding in that ridiculous plot?

"Oh..." Was all I could say.

"Surprising isn't it? I look just like her with a bit of make-up." She smiled sadly.

"When I was eighteen, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Well... you could guess what happened after."

Her lids lowered and I could see the shine in them was slowly dying. Our situation is quite alike... isn't it?

"I see..." I replied.

She raised her head and looked at some customers behind us.

"You're a very lucky woman... Don't lose the people around you... It was nice talking to you. I hope to see you again." She stood up and smiled at me one last time.

She looked really tired. I wonder why she told me such an important thing..? And she didn't even warn me not to talk about it to other people.

Not that I would but...

Her retreating back looks a bit worrisome. I followed her with my eyes, debating whether to follow her or not. But just when I was about to stand up, I saw a familiar man rushing out of a car, anxiously heading towards her.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. She'll be fine... Averting my eyes away from the scene, I chuckled bitterly. Do I really have the time to worry about other people..?

"Rui! It is you!" 

I turned my head to see Shirly and Lawrence standing by the table.

"...What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"We're hanging out, of course! Haven't you seen my messages?"

"Oh... Umm... I shut my phone off. Sorry. Actually, I'd really like to have some..." alone time. The next words I was about to say was cut off before I could utter them. 

"I see... Well it doesn't matter! It's a good thing we managed to see each other despite the circumstances." She smiled in her usual cheerful manner then she quickly sat on the opposite side.