Misery Loves Company (1)

I opened the window with a smile, greeting the cold morning air that rushed inside. It may not be as fresh compared to the province, but one shouldn't discriminate against trivial things.

After all, we're still able to breathe. I turned around to finally leave while humming a happy tune. Today is the start of my leave, so I decided to go have some fun while I'm at it. 

I continued humming my way out of my room as I twisted my hair in a bun, thinking about all the fun I was gonna have touring around the city-

"No work?"

My hum ended in a half croak, half yelp as I jumped in horror. Slowly, I turned to the source of the baritone voice, hoping to god I was just hearing things.

But there in the living room is a familiar figure watching the TV while gracefully drinking a cup of coffee. I checked the time on my wrist watch.

Seven o'clock.

...Why is he here?

"Ah- I'm on leave." I finally answered, and was about to continue heading to the door when a loud clinking sound cut across the air, startling me to a halt.

"Where are you going?"

I paused, turning to him tensely while pointing back and forth at nothing in particular. "...Uhh, just here and there." 

"Where?"

Why?

Why the hell is he curious?!

"I... don't know. I'll figure out on the way." I answered vaguely, hoping he won't be able to come up with yet another question.

"...Is that so?" He turned off the TV then looking over my way, he continued, "Wait for me. I don't have work, as well, so I'll tag along."

"What!? Nnn-mmng-" I quickly swallowed the word before I could utter it, then I held my throat for effect as I coughed. After which, I continued in a calmer voice. "That is... I don't think it's a good idea..." I answered, smiling politely. It had almost slipped a while ago but thankfully, it stayed plastered on my lips like glue.

He stood up and looked at me, cocking his head to the right. "Why?"

I sputtered, feeling suspicious of his insistence. Is he using the offer to be my driver as an alibi to spy on my activities? I can't think of a reason why he'd do that... Unless, I've been acting suspiciously by accident..? Although I don't have anything to hide, it won't be fun being watched by him all day. And who knows? He might ask for compensation for a service I didn't even ask from him. I sighed in exasperation. 

'I don't want to go with you,' is a little too blunt. He might sneer at me and say I'm thinking too highly of myself, and my pride is still recovering from the considerable damage he caused last time, so taking another blow now is a bit...

It will shatter my confidence...

Swoosh! Just like that, it will disappear from the face of this earth, never to recover again.

While I was busy thinking of what to say, he managed to prepare in that short amount of time and was now standing in front of me in a simple white button down shirt and cropped black chinos. I wouldn't have even noticed his presence if he didn't speak.

"Let's go."

I looked up at him, swiftly mumbling the start of my protest. "But I... " really don't want to go with you. If I say that, he'll think I'm hiding something, won't he? I couldn't finish the sentence and could only anxiously shift my weight on each foot.

"Fine." He sighed, effectively conveying the words, 'What a pain,' in that small gesture.

Excuse me? It should be me who's supposed to do that!