I Remember You

I woke up, still feeling sleepy. With my barely opened eyes, I looked to my side and noticed that it was empty.

Halleluja..!

"I better leave now..." I groggily muttered as I rolled out of the bed with my phone.

Squinting my eyes at the screen, I was surprised to see that it was nearing six. How could I have missed my alarm?

Did he turn it off? That bastard.

I tapped my face two times to shake off the drowsiness, and quickly went to open the door. Slowly as to not alert unwanted attention. I have to be careful just in case he's still lurking around somewhere.

"I didn't hand you Renato 'else it will cause complications. If the General sees him in your custody, he'd get even more suspicious."

"I understand..." An unfamiliar voice muttered.

Shit... Are they talking about shady business??

"Then what are you going to do with him?"

"...I won't kill him, don't worry."

Axton's cold voice sent shivers down my spine, his words vividly sending me gory pictures of what he meant. He won't kill him but he'll torture him cruelly. And if they see me listening to their conversation? There's no doubt I'll be Jellal number two.

I should've just slept outside with the homeless yesterday!

My heart pounded erratically as I tried to close the door whilst praying it will not make any noise yet, my hands continued to tremble in rebellion. I was just about to succeed when my phone set off another alarm I had completely forgotten.

Sweat dripped down the sides of my face as I froze. Shit, shit, shit-! I closed the door first and quickly jumped back to the bed, pretending to sleep.

I carelessly threw the phone beside me and closed my eyes shut, my breaths coming out shakily.

Calm down me! I shouted in my head as I heard footsteps racing towards the room.

The door swung open and I let out one last panicky breath before praying to God.

"...Who is she?" It was the stranger.

I heard Axton sigh as he neared the bed and took my phone to shut the alarm.

Please leave the phone...! I thought repeatedly while maintaining a slow breathing exercise.

"It doesn't matter who she is. She doesn't concern our business."

"Apparently, she does. What if she heard our conversation a while ago?" The man was whispering but I could clearly hear their words from the close proximity.

"You're overthinking. Even if she did hear our conversation, she won't be able to do anything about it. And if she does, I'll properly take care of it, as usual."

T-take care of it!? I gulped, my fists tightening their grip on the sheets. My mind started imagining all sorts of terrible things that could happen to me.

"Why are you so confident? Do you know her?"

"...Of course. She's my childhood friend."

What?? I almost opened my eyes in surprise.

"Regardless, I don't think we should really be talking about these things when she's sleeping soundly... don't you think?" Axton's voice turned dangerously low but that wasn't what my mind was focused on at the moment.

Did he just say we're childhood friends??

"We were talking about serious business. I think I have the right to know if she heard something. You're aware it's dangerous if word gets out." I heard the stranger try to cross the distance, making me panic to the point that my hands began to tremble.