An Actor's Visit

Now that I was more or less sorted out, I invited my friends to eat out on Sunday. Exactly like how a normal person should spend their weekends. I made sure to promptly tell them I'd willingly pay for the food to which they ate quite enthusiastically. Honestly, I was concerned they'd feel uncomfortable knowing I have somewhat extraordinary circumstances but it ultimately disappeared as we laughed all our problems away with cringy jokes over good food.

When Monday came, I left home early so I could deliver Axton's meal on time, and was surprised to see a familiar face in the lobby.

"...Rui?"

What luck! "Mr. Chen!"

"What are you doing here?" I smiled amiably at him. Mr. Chen is my next-door neighbor in my new apartment who owns a modest restaurant. He's nearing his senior year, but still a busy body with all the various tasks he has to do to keep his business running.

"I deliver a loyal customer's meals here everyday."

I perked up at the mention of everyday, but frowned after taking a good look at his swollen joints. "Oh? But shouldn't you let your staff do that for you?"

He laughed. "My part timer is sick today. And besides, I need to exercise, anyway."

I nodded understandingly. "I see... Well, it just so happened that I'm also delivering an acquaintance's meal here."

"Is that so?" His brows rose curiously, creating three deep lines on his forehead.

I quickly  took the chance to voice my idea while he was deep in thought. "Mr. Chen... Is it possible to include my meals when you deliver here every day? I promise I'll pay you." I crossed my fingers as I waited for his reply.

He smiled, "Okay. But you don't have to pay me, really. It's just a small favor."

"...Really-? Thank you Mr. Chen-ah- Still I promise I'll repay you back somehow!"

"It's fine, it's fine." He laughed merrily with a proud look on his face. "It's just a small favor. It's just like helping my daughter."

My shoulders relaxed at his genuine willingness to help me. Just for a bit, it felt like I was actually someone else's daughter and it felt nice.

The day went by peacefully, and I was now finishing my shift at the grocery when my phone started ringing non stop. Thinking it was urgent, I excused myself to answer the persistent caller.

"Hello?"

"...Your work ends in half an hour, correct? I'll be waiting for you outsi-" I abruptly ended the call with a deadpan face, ready to put my phone back in my pants when it blasted the familiar upbeat ring tone I was now beginning to hate. I frowned and blocked the number before going back to the counter. Surely it must've been a mistake. 

"Who is it?" Mr. Pyo asked, curiosity written all over his face, seeing as it was the first call I've ever received while working. "Is it an emergency?"

"Uh-No. They dialed the wrong number..." I shrugged.

"I see..." He muttered, then paused as his eyes caught on to something. "My... It's unusual to see that kind of face here, don't you think?" He nodded appreciatively at the entrance, and I naturally followed his fascinated gaze only to be horrified after seeing the person who had just called me a while ago. In the flesh!

Shit!

"Do you think he's an actor?"

"It would be nice if he's anything but Axton..." I responded, feeling my innards twist from the agonizing dread. What is he doing here?! I was about to hide when he suddenly looked in our direction. Good thing I efficiently managed to hold a paper bag to my face.

Is it really possible that he is here for me? No... For all I know, he's just shopping and I'm overreacting. It's a lot of maybe's, but I'm not eager to test unreliable theories yet!

"Umm... What are you doing?"Mr. Pyo asked beside me.

"A-Ah... He's just so handsome it's making me conscious." I turned around and punched two holes through the paper bag using my forefinger before haphazardly pulling it over my head.

There was a long pause as we stood side by side.

"But do you have to cover your face?... With a paper bag?" I could see the boss looking sorely perplexed through the hole. "Why?" 

"Th-that's right boss. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to serve our customer well since he's so handsome."

"Oh... If you say so." I saw him distance himself away from me a little but didn't put it to heart.

My key priority is to act like a stranger! As Axton came nearer, I inevitably felt my heart pumping faster, I might as well be running an Olympic marathon. I was relieved the disguise was perfect as he didn't seem to recognize me even until he came by the counter. He dropped his items without a word and I silently and hastily scanned the things before bagging them. Finally handing him the change, I forced myself to relax while saying in an unnaturally high-pitched voice, "Th-thank you for shopping here. Please come again!"

He received the change silently and walked off with a clueless face. Then and only then did I pat my chest. "He didn't notice me..." I thought I was gonna have a mild heart attack.

"It's a miracle he didn't." I ignored the boss' sarcastic remark.

Just as I sighed, Axton looked back and peered at my bleary eyes through the holes. I froze. Does he... know, after all..?

His lips parted and the words that came out after felt like a big bolder had just fell down from the sky and crushed me. "I'll. wait. for. you. in. my. car." The fierce animosity in his cunning eyes could not be denied. This time I'm really finished.

God, thank you for this second chance but it seems it will end like this even with all my efforts combined...

Mr. Pyo gasped, looking shocked as he whispered eagerly, "Is this the trend to get someone to notice you these days? I can't believe it worked brilliantly on someone as handsome as that!"

"..." My boss is completely misunderstanding everything. I'm afraid if the police investigate him after I die, he won't be of much help.

If my shameful death as Leila Cato is pitiful then what would you call my death here? It has got to be the biggest joke in the history of man kind!

***

A/N: If you're loving it so far, please share some love for this plebian author at:

buymeacoffee.com/lenrai

Thank you!