Thinking Too Much

I groggily woke up at the sound of my alarm blowing off. There was a pounding ache in my head making my movements sluggish and I couldn't open my eyes for the life of me, hence I could only reach for my phone blindly to turn the blaring sound off.

I feel sick.

My head feels like it's going to burst and my body feels heavy.

Five more minutes...

When I finally got the strength to check my phone a second time, I was startled by the number of notifications I received. There were at least twenty messages and twelve missed calls from Shirley and Lawrence.

Where are you?? (Lawrence)

Hey, if you think you can escape my questions today, you're dead wrong. (Shirly)

She's probably referring to the incident at the blind date as I have yet to clarify Axton's identity...

Mrs. Dorra is looking for you! (Lawrence)

I can't believe you're doing this to me! (Shirley)

As I read their messages one by one, it slowly dawned on me that I made a huge blunder.

I shot up like lightning bolt and quickly ran around my room, grabbing my things to get ready while cursing nonstop. I didn't even bother to shower, only washing my face and brushing my teeth before limping out of the apartment as I put my shoes on.

For the first time in my life, I showed up late at work. Yet, what's shocking is that I didn't get reprimanded by my superiors. In fact, I even got a three day leave!

It was a pleasant surprise though I can't help but wonder about Mrs. Dora's meek approach while talking to me. She'd always been the one to scream at me at the smallest mistakes so to suddenly behave in a very lenient and understanding manner is beyond me.

Lawrence even dropped the bread he was eating after watching our interaction. Meanwhile, Shirly mouthed what seemed to be a, "You lucky bitch!"

Indeed, I truly was lucky. Or maybe Mrs. Dora was finally starting to appreciate me..? That belief soon vanished when I happened to catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror.

It's a ghost. There's a ghost in the mirror.

No wonder Mrs. Dora was looking at me anxiously.

My face was scarily gaunt, shaded with dark shadows hovering under my blood-shut eyes. My once healthy-looking skin looks pale and clammy, it felt disgusting to the touch.

My appearance must have rattled the President when I passed by him this morning to have that leave approved so quickly.

Sighing, I trudged back to the apartment, feeling as if I would collapse any second now. I'm an idiot. How could I overwork myself to the point that I don't look human anymore??

I dropped on the soft mattress of my bed, and stayed still for a minute. Later on, I reached inside my bag to check my phone one last time in case any urgent matters slipped my mind, but was sidetracked by a box I don't recognize.

I took it out for inspection and was greeted by a pack of face masks. This... Shirly had discretely dropped it in my bag when I was leaving. Is it that bad..?

A note fell on my face.

'A woman should always look pretty!
P.S. you can pay me back by telling me who that man is.'

Of course it's a bribe...

I put it on my bedside table with a sigh before diving into a deserved sleep.