Chapter 1

(six months later)

Owen

I've never really fit in anywhere.

Even at home, really. Maybe that's why Mum forces me to get out of the house. Specifically, to this children's hospital for physical therapy. I tell you, for as long as I've been going here, it always sucks.

The fact that my legs are like, literal noodles already sucked and going to some sort of rehabilitation center made it clear that yes, I am paralyzed. I don't really care about it, though. It's normal to me by now, and why should I hate on something that is so regular?

"Alright sweetheart, that's all for today. Broke a sweat there, didn't you?" Barbara, my physical therapist said with a smile as she let go of my right leg and helped me sit up on the mat. Barb, unlike most people, is a kind, dark-skinned, full woman who had known me ever since I was a kid. She's okay.

"I'm gonna go call your mother and let her know you're done. I'll be back before you know it." Barbara said as she started to turn away from me and walked over to a nearby bench where she had her things.

"Hey Barb," I called.

I had worn my trainers over my feet clad in Star Wars-themed socks. Barb eyed my socks first, then me.

"What is it?"

I finished tying the laces of my shoes then looked at her.

"Do you think one day this thing we're doing would pay off? Like, this would actually make me walk?" I asked.

The chance was literally at zero now that it's been years since it happened. I was just a bit curious so I asked. My mum kept bugging me on continuously coming over to PT in this dumb children's hospital to learn how to do things with a wheelchair and to exercise as well. She may say that every time I ask her if I can quit and do whatever I like during weekends, but I think there's always a small part in my mother that hopes I can take a single step or something.

Barbara bobbed her head to the side and smiled sadly. I already know what this is. I don't have any expectations actually, so any answer would be fine.

"Owen sweetheart, you do know what the doctors said."

I brushed it off and smiled at her.

"Yeah yeah, 'He'll never walk again blah blah blah. The chances are slim yadda yadda'," I replied, trying to imitate the doctors who told me the news when I was eight.

Barb smiled as she exhaled a sigh of relief.

"Yes Owen, I know. Your mother insisted that we do this every now and then to ensure that your legs maintain muscle and don't go into spasms. I tell you, spasms are normal but they aren't exactly thrilling."

For once, I actually agreed with her. Seeing your limp legs move sure is a sight to see but watching them move on their own is similar to seeing something rustling in the woods while it's dark. It's weird, a bit scary, and makes me all jittery.

"I'll be right back. Go change." Barbara said as she took her phone with her outside the room and left me inside. I was all alone now and my wheelchair's a bit far from me. It was on the other side of the nearby bench Barb's stuff were.

From the mat on the floor, I transferred myself to the bench where Barbara's bag was and scooted my ass all the way to the other side.

I was a pro at transfers. I could win an Olympic medal from being such an expert at it though I probably looked ridiculous. It was good knowing there wasn't anyone around.

I sat in my wheelchair and headed to the comfort room as soon as I finished positioning my legs on the footrest. Under them were these tiny wheels that light up.