Chapter 25

Athena

I know it sounds a bit stalkerish, but for the past days, I had been asking Cal for updates on Owen. In total Calix fashion, he would send me a chain of texts that would seem overwhelming at first but the usual ultimate gist of his texts about Owen lies between the lines of "I hate everybody and I hate school" and "I don't feel like myself but I pretend not to show it".

It was totally like Owen to act that way.

Calix tells me Owen has been acting not like himself lately, and that assumption came from Owen not making fun of Cal together with their other friend.

At this point, I was starting to think whether ignoring him for this long was cruel or something. I knew I didn't want to prolong this thing we have going on and make it worse.

As much as I want to convince myself that Owen was someone I could make friends with and forget about the following day, something about him makes me want to stick around and see where our friendship leads.

He might be another Calix, another Vivien, or another Tim. Owen might fill whatever void Elliot left and he actually did, despite being unaware of it. He surprises me, sometimes. I can't predict his next move.

Being with Owen made me forget. I needed him to stick around. That's what friends do, anyway.

After class, I immediately turned on my phone to see if Cal sent updates already. For the past days, I found Cal's texts to be one of the best parts of my day, aside from breakfast.

Both Tim and Viv had extracurriculars today and I didn't, so I commuted to the nearest bus stop, and walked the rest of the way home. While on my phone, I realized Calix had sent me another bomb of texts.

At this point, I wasn't even surprised.

I raised a brow as I kept reading through his texts

I replied with an eye-rolling GIF and thanked them, telling them that I'll think about it

I was near Owen's house now, and a few more steps would land me at their doorstep.