Chapter 4

Athena

I went home absolutely exhausted.

I didn't know why I was so tired after the hospital but seeing my Aunt Lydia greet me as soon as I came home made things better.

"Athena! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to come with you to the hospital but god, you are so pretty! You got it off! Finally!" my aunt immediately told me in her accented voice as she hugged me immediately after answering our door.

I hugged her back and laughed.

It felt nice being able to finally hug people after getting my halo off. I couldn't do much before but now, it felt so liberating. It was an amazing feeling, being able to hug people back without all the awkwardness and stiffness and stuff.

My aunt loves hugs, and not being able to embrace her these past few months was a nightmare for both of us.

"Did you miss me that much? C'mon, let's go eat, Auntie. I'm starving," I told her as we smilingly went inside our house and made our way towards our dining table, where my aunt had prepared the most savory Mediterranean dishes one could imagine.

My aunt was a really good cook and an excellent hairdresser. She isn't your typical Greek aunt either. Though she spoke in an accent, she looked extremely American. It's like seeing Paulette from Legally Blonde, but Greek.

People say my Aunt Lydia can pass as my actual mother since we look really similar, especially with our dark brown eyes, ivory skin, and blonde hair. Hers was a brighter shade of blonde, and mine was dirty blonde. I used to have the same hair as my aunt though.

"Did I hug you too tight? I'm so sorry baby, I just missed hugging you these past six months! How do you feel now?" she asked as she sat me down and handed me a plate of moussaka.

"I feel great. The doctor said I should take things slow for the next few weeks, though. Do you think I can go to the amusement park tomorrow with my friends?"

My aunt looked horrified.

"Absolutely not! The doctor told you to rest, and I can't have my niece ride a roller coaster with a broken neck!"

"Not broken anymore, Aunt Lydia." I corrected her.

Aside from trying to get used to feeling as if my head was kinda heavier than usual, I felt fine. I just have to really take things slow for a bit.

"Rest, Athena. Your parents would be so happy once they hear the news. I'll tell them at once! And remember my blind date, Dewey? He set us up for a second date! Ahh! So many exciting things are happening! I'll tell him too," my aunt said excitedly as she took out her phone, stood up, and started typing away.

I just sat there and ate some good food, smiling like an idiot.

She really is happy, isn't she?

Aside from my small wins, my aunt finds joy in whatever dating site she's on. I swear, she's met all kinds of men there by now. Bald dudes, Irish dudes, dudes with long-ass beards, EVERY, SINGLE, ONE.

She even matched with an 18-year-old once. That was certainly something I am prohibited to bring up at the dinner table.

I continued eating my plate of moussaka and finished it off with some galaktoboureko and juice.

From the other room, I heard my aunt talking in speedy Greek, and I immediately knew she was talking to my parents. I miss them sometimes and I might have to talk to them later. While my aunt was breaking the news to my parents, I checked my phone to see if Owen replied to the text I sent earlier. I wasn't the least bit surprised to see that he hadn't responded.