Chapter 19

Owen

It was warm outside today.

Well, I wasn't entirely aware of it since the air conditioning at school was a bit faulty, so it was a relatively cold day today, but outside, it was warm. It was fucking warm.

The change from an intensely cold environment to a warm one was unusual since it caused me a slight headache.

I had this headache from the moment Calix tagged along with Marley and her female friends after school, the moment I had texted back and forth with my older brothers asking if I could hitch a ride with them, and the moment I decided to ride the bus home again.

I wasn't a big fan of bus rides or any form of public transportation because somehow, people think that my business is their business. Every single time I ride buses, it is as if they have never seen me in the last nine years riding public transportation in a wheelchair.

I was almost thankful the bus stopped near Delta's, and as soon as I strolled towards the diner, a familiar figure had been waiting patiently as she scrolled on her phone.

Athena stood there with her bag slung over a shoulder. She had her maroon blazer flung across her other shoulder and as soon as we locked eyes, she beamed and waved.

I shook my head and pushed my chair up to her, feeling the cold metal of the rims glide past my fingerless gloves. My headache was starting to wane, yet Athena made something in my head throb. I didn't know why.

She had been giving me that silly grin ever since she saw me, and I knew she had something cooked up already.

"This is the part where you'll pay for my food and I'll make fun of you for being broke," she said, smirking as we slowly turned to the diner door, letting her open it up.

"So no greetings? Not even a 'hello'?" I asked her.

Athena scoffed and started to walk towards Delta's.

"We don't do that. If we did, would we still be ourselves?" she said with that cheeky little grin again. I rolled my eyes and just followed her in.

"Whatever. Let's just get on with this so it'll end faster." I muttered under my breath.

Athena and I were met with a dark-skinned woman with her curly hair tied back. Delta, the owner, doesn't seem to be around, and this waitress seemed to be new.

"Table for two?" she asked Athena, with a grin that could equal Athena's annoying one.

I looked at Athena and watched her nod at the waitress. We were later ushered into a regular table here, and all this time, the waitress kept acknowledging Athena. Not me.

This wasn't new to me, anyway.

While the waitress brought menus for the both of us, she only kept talking to Athena, telling her the bestsellers, citing which ones are a must-try, and so and so. I pretended to be disinterested in their conversation as I continuously read the menu, yet from my peripheral vision, I could see the waitress scan me and my chair intently.

She was obviously a newbie here. The other people who work here are used to me and don't even bother staring or giving me looks. But this new waitress hasn't seen me around much, so it was a bit understandable for her to take it all in, even if it made me somehow uncomfortable.

I was supposed to let it pass, but her blatantly ignoring me while she kept acknowledging Athena was fucking annoying.

I can fucking speak for myself.

In the end, Athena got the most expensive item here accompanied with a vanilla milkshake.

"Is that all? What will he be having?" the waitress asked. At Athena. Again.