Special Chapter #1

(Fourth of July, before Senior Year)

Athena
It was hot out today. Extremely hot. Over at Tim's pool resort, the view was alright given that we're not exactly at the beach or something but spending the Fourth with the people I love was most exciting.

Well, less exciting given that my ass of a boyfriend won't get out of the rented villa, reading.

"OWEN! What the hell are you doing?" I asked as my flip-flops squeaked into the wood floorboards of the tiny make-shift patio and sat beside Owen in his loose shirt and khaki shorts, legs folded up in a cross-legged position on a bench right beside the French doors. His wheelchair was placed on a corner right around him.

Owen looked at me as I sat and cocked his head toward his book.

"I'm reading Athena. Isn't it that obvious?"

I rolled my eyes as I scanned the title of his book.

"Six of Crows again? Seriously? Tell me you haven't been sneaking out jumping on roofs stealing something." I shook my head knowingly since he's been reading that book for God knows how many times this past year.

Owen laughed and shut his book.

Finally.

"Fyi, I hadn't been jumping on roofs. I've just been reading the same book for like, the seventh time since I got it?" he said, one of his eyes wincing at the glare of the sun.

"I think you should get out more."

"Doesn't the bookstore count as going out?"

I lightly smacked his head and smiled.

"Nope. But the Van Gogh was." I said, recounting the infamous night of many kisses and fancy food. 

Owen's mouth curved upward a bit, smiling his ever crooked smile and laughed.

"That, was expensive. I'm never doing that again." He said as he shook his head and started opening his book. I quickly swiped the book from his hands and he shot me one of his glares.

Oh how I missed this. Brings back memories actually.

"Even if it meant kissing on fancy museum floors with an audience to watch us?" I said, leaning into him a bit. He scoffed and gave me an amused look.

"Yes. Even that. I lost my allowance Athena. MY ALLOWANCE." he emphasized.

"But I'm more important than money, right love?" I asked, tickling his sides. I found out he was ticklish when I accidentally poked him with a pool stick when Cal invited us over to play at his house. It was both awesome and chaotic.

Owen grabbed my wrists to stop me from tickling him and sighed.

"If it meant eating embarrassingly shaped sandwiches and riding home with Jace after school, it was all worth it once you entered the picture."

I smiled and pulled him in for a kiss before whispering,

"Sike."