Special Chapter #4

(some time around senior year)

Athena
I only have a few more months to go before high school ends all by itself like that detonating bomb you see around landmines that supposedly, blow up. To be fair to this hella expensive school I go to, I've got to say, these past four years and those awkward preteen years before, sure had been one heck of a ride. If it got me good friends and one totally adorably, dorky boyfriend, I sure would miss high school. I don't know if it was the fact that my birthday's coming up next week or something but it sure did made how I see school less traumatizing than it already is.

It was sunny out and Owen and I agreed to ditch our usual bookstore dates for the park. Well, I just agreed on it by myself since Owen was being a big wuss for sticking to his dearly beloved bookstore. Mainly, I just forced him to it, bribing him with my inexplicably charming demeanor.

"Why do we even have to go to the park? Aren't books that exciting nowadays?" Owen pleaded as we made our way to the park right across the bookstore. His hair, like always, fell to his gorgeously icy, blue eyes and these days, I had always pushed them back. I did the deed and smiled to myself, completely ignoring his TED talk about the sheer greatness of books.

"Don't you think the sun's rays are going to waste if you keep hiding from it inside bookstores?" I answered back, shrugging. Owen looked like a lost child inside the mall and it was just too adorable to not give in to him.

"It's too bright." He said, squinting his eyes as he looked over at the sky. I couldn't help but look up too and hissed as the sun actually hurt my eyes.

"Then don't look at the sun. It's pretty simple, actually." I said, smirking a bit knowing I have outwitted Owen over simple logic like, of course it's bright. It's a fucking sun. Owen sighed and slumped his shoulders, looking down from the sky.

"Says someone who also looked at it." he muttered silently. It was probably because he doesn't want me to hear whatever he said since I sure am no amateur when it comes to debates. Cal was a debate champ and that nerd taught me everything he knew.

We were right at the entrance of the park, that familiar arch peering over us as we passed. Not many people people were here today and I guess that was good news for Owen since he generally dislikes any kind of social interaction with others. Look at us for example at the start of our friendship; it was mostly I who did all the hard work to get this guy to even smile at me and look at us now; we kiss and kiss and well, kiss. Gotta keep it PG for my parents to not freak once I actually get pregnant before getting married. Aunt Lydia was a rather, huge gossip and she practically outruns me to deliver whatever news I had to my parents. She even got to tell them first when Owen and I started dating.

I looked over at Owen as we strolled down those somehow rocky pathways and saw that his expression was a bit crumpled. I peered my head over to him and gave him a tight smile.

"Sipped a lemon recently? Damn you look kinda sour." I said as our pace slowed down a bit. Eventually, Owen shook his head and sighed.

"I don't like the park." he said with his  brows all furrowed toward the center and his jaw clenching. I shook my head concerningly and put a hand on his shoulder to which, he looked over at.

"We've been here a few times before. You've got to get used to it by now." I said. Owen shot me a glare and quickened his pace, leaving me behind a few steps. As I can see from behind, his chair was unsteadily shaking a bit and that part had me concerned. Well, kinda. I had just been so used to seeing him in his chair I barely even remember that even he has limitations even I can't push him towards the border of.