Chapter 21

Athena

Aunt Lydia and I ate Chinese food over old episodes of America's Next Top Model and it made me feel better. A way lot better actually, knowing that if I were a contestant on the show, I would definitely rock those photoshoots.

See? I was almost like my normal self.

Almost.

"Tell me about Owen. You never brought him up until now." Aunt Lydia asked as she ate.

I was inclined to pass on the subject because I was still pissed at Owen, but looking at my aunt, I realized I haven't really been telling her stuff either. Telling her about another asshole who pissed me off is the least I could do.

"He's stubborn. Grouchy. Cold. Rarely smiles. Tolerates me–"

"Athena, I know you are angry at him, but I'd like to know what he's like on better days." my aunt piped in.

I rolled my eyes and stabbed my food with a plastic fork, it almost broke into two.

"That's how he's like on all days, Auntie. But if I were to describe him, I'd say he's— interesting." I said, thinking of the times Owen and I actually did interesting stuff. Even so, that still doesn't mean that he is forgiven.

I thought of the times Owen and I teamed up to find Maxie, who was now sleeping on the floor beside our television. I thought of our meeting back again at Delta's when school started and our friend groups merged. That was kinda fun. And I thought of how serious he was in the bookstore whenever we studied together. I remembered all the times he awkwardly asked me if I could explain physics to him, which is a subject he absolutely hates.

Owen always had his dark messy hair in the way of his eyes which were this interesting shade of blue. It wasn't deep or muted, but it was light. They were like ice and Owen happened to be the unfortunate ice prince who just doesn't know his boundaries.

He was nice, too. And I always overlooked that. Until now.

I saw how he cared for the old man who owned the bookstore, and how despite the owner's insistence, Owen always paid him for the "free" milkshakes he brought over to our table. I saw how Owen was protective of Marley, a friend of his who Cal had continuously been hitting on. And I saw how genuinely concerned he was when I told his family over dinner that my parents were deported.

I was supposed to hate him and curse him until he dies, but I felt lighter just thinking about him. There was something completely wrong about this.

"Someone's feeling better." my aunt suddenly said.

I let myself smile that time.

"Maybe I am."

My aunt came to sit closer to me on our sofa and smiled. She had an inquisitive look on her face, as her dimples deepened and her dark eyes sparkled.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked.

I sat closer to my aunt and pretended to think despite already having a clear image of what was in my head at the time.

It was Owen.

Owen fucking Watson.

Anger and frustration rose up my system once again, as I remembered what happened just a few hours ago.

"I'm thinking about him. And whether I'm going to forgive him or not." I said.

I kept thinking about how insensitive he was, and how he was this self-proclaimed outcast from society. I thought of how he thought the world was against him and how he disliked me so much despite my efforts to actually make friends with him. That made me mad, knowing how he just blatantly ruined the friendship I was exerting the most effort on.