Chapter 44: Levelled Up

------------------Summer--------------------

Athena
"Yes Mr. Jones! Owen and I'll finish up unboxing these first before we drink up your wife's famous milkshakes!" I told Mr. Jones as I carried in the last box of new books into the bookstore.

"Don't tire yourself too much young lady! Finish up fast before your milkshakes turn rancid!" Mr. Jones replied, chuckling as he laid down two tall strawberry milkshakes in Owen and I's table by the window before he got to work at the cashier. I smiled. Milkshakes don't turn rancid after a few minutes, do they?

"Whatever you say Mr. Jones!"

I shook my head smilingly as I turned to Owen, who now had his hair a bit shorter, falling over his forehead instead of his eyes. Anyway, I still liked the boy to death no matter how his hair looked. He smiled as he looked up at me after organizing books by genre and putting them in their respective shelves.

"Need a hand?" I said, placing down the last box beside his chair and reaching for the neat pile of books stacked up around him.

Owen wiped his  sweat off his forehead and nodded.

"Sure. Place them right beside the Edgar Allan Poe ones in the highest shelf. Or you still needed a boost to reach up?" he said, smirking. I rolled my eyes and laughed sarcastically.

"Ha ha. Very funny. It's not my fault I'm 5'3. Also, how in the world did you grow 5'11 when all you do is sit and laugh at memes?" I said as I shook my head, remembering how proud he was when after PT, Barb got him to stand up for a sec to take his height. I've never been so annoyed yet proud at him.

"Genes love. It runs in the blood." He said laughingly as he fixed up a pile of books in the lower shelf and began to put them in.

I always loved the way he laughs. At first, it seemed so unusual since all he does was glare at me and send me death threats but now, it seems so natural. I like it.

After shelving some books, Owen and I sat in our usual window side table and thirstily sipped on our milkshakes. Delta's milkshakes were a literal heaven after working our asses off.

"Ughhh, they're so good." I said through sips. Owen nodded as he sipped into his.

"I know right? Like, how does she even make milkshakes more delectable than they already are?"

"TRUE. Somehow, I wish I kinda worked in the diner this summer to get free shakes."

Owen shot me a hurt look and gave me the puppy eyes, something he's been doing lately to get my attention.

"You don't want to be with me?" he asked.

I shook my head and placed a kiss on his forehead. He smiled.

"I always want to be with you love. I'm never leaving your side, remember? We're like conjoined twins! Also, how the hell did you convince your mom to even allow you to have a summer job?" He shrugged.

I was curious. Owen and I had been working as helpers in Mr. Jones' bookstore for a few days now and I wondered how he made his mother allow him to work since she's like, this overprotective soccer mom.

"Just did a little convincing and a bit of telling her off for treating me like a kid. I need the experience after all if I'm going to college soon."

I nodded and sipped into my milkshake again. Ugh was it fine.

"Yeah. Aunt Lydia was happy enough when I told her I was getting a summer job. She practically called every single one of her Greek friends and invited them over for some cocktails at home." I chuckled. I never did like having her speak Greek around her friends like it was some part of my culture that I was missing out on. The cons of being Americanized.