Chapter 6

Athena

Two weeks have passed and Owen still hasn't responded.

Bummer.

I kinda hoped I would be able to bug him a bit before school starts tomorrow. I could always text him but we live in an era where he might block my number and think I'm some kind of spam message trying to sell him Russian spaceships or stale bagels.

At this point, I would do anything to just clear my mind from Elliot.

I sighed.

I rolled out of bed absolutely looking more like Medusa than human and tied my messy hair into a bun with a few shorter strands escaping the bundle.

It was a good morning today actually, with the sun waving from my bedroom window and the warmth seeping through the blinds. It was nice. I thought I would go for a walk with Maxie at the park this morning since she deserves to explore the outside world, sniffing dog butts and stuff.

I had already rested enough these past two weeks after getting the halo off and I thought it might be good to finally do something productive. I needed to build up my strength again, though I wasn't exactly a morning person.

I got up, wore a dry-fit shirt and some track shorts, put on my shoes, and finally got out of my room.

I ran downstairs to greet Maxie, my aunt's white husky.

"Aunt Lydia? I'm going out with Maxie, okay?" I yelled into the halls of our house. She didn't respond.

Maybe she was still asleep? My aunt doesn't work on weekends. She says she specifically requested her days off were on the weekends so she can have her dates and stuff. It was just her doing weird aunt things. I didn't mind much.

I found Maxie resting on our small, linty sofa and called her. She immediately brightened up as soon as she saw me holding her leash. Maxie ran towards me and let herself be petted and hugged. She licked me as I ran my hands through her clean, white coat.

"I know. You missed licking my face until I can make a face mask out of your spit. Have you ever dreamt of becoming a dermatologist?" I asked her.

Of course, she didn't reply since she was so preoccupied with basking in my presence so she can have my attention. I loved her, really. She was spoiled by my aunt and I throughout the years.

"Lead the way Maxie," I told the dog as soon as we stepped out of the house, her leash in my hand.

She happily walked briskly away from the door and practically led me into the park which was pretty much a mere walking distance for us both. Our neighborhood was right beside it and our home was a few blocks away from the entrance. It was all good exercise.

I let Maxie lead me toward the park exit since I've been taking her there ever since she was a cute, tiny, snow-white husky puppy, her huge brown eyes glinting with the sun as she held her tongue out in excitement, letting her drool over the pavement. She probably even had this route memorized.

Maxie is so cute, I even found her drool adorable.

We were now in front of the park, yet I think it is also worth noting that there are a few eating establishments in front of it. There were small family-owned restaurants, diners, parlors, and stuff. I stared at them and felt my stomach growl.

I hadn't even had breakfast yet.

"Maxie, you know you're the love of my life, right? Please forgive me after this." I told my dog as soon as I lightly pulled Maxie's leash toward the direction of a particular diner instead of the park. She looked at me like I betrayed her.