Chapter 35: Before

Owen
"MUM! Why do YOU have to drive us? Can't Dad just drive? Or either of the twins?" I asked Mum desperately as she fixed my tie for me. I don't know heck about the basics of tying on a tie.

After patting down the borrowed blood red tie from Dad's closet, Mum took a good look at me and smiled. I have on a jet black suit with a light blue button down underneath matched with the said tie. It all felt itchy but Mum looked satisfied so I just went along with it. "Can't believe my baby's all grown up! Athena's gonna DROOL over you sweetheart. Also, I INSIST that I drive. I wanna take photos." Mum squealed as she dashed to her room to get a camera as I just shook my head and looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked different.

I grabbed my pre-chosen coat from the couch nearby and waited for Mum to hurry. A few minutes, later, she came running out with her iPad, phone and camera in hand, all set to embarrass me in front of Athena. Up til now, I still don't know why I asked her out tonight. I'm still a bit confused yet this trip, this thing I'm doing is like, the validation part of it all. I just want to be sure though.

"Mum, really? You could just bring your phone and take photos from there if you'd like to lower the remaining self-esteem I have." I said dryly as Mum and I made our way out and into the car as I transferred in and she fixed the chair in the back for me.

A few seconds later, Mum sat in the driver's and looked at me.

"Ready Owen?"

Athena
"Ready baby?" Aunt Lydia asked as the two of us waited for Owen to pass by the house. I nodded as she smiled at me and reapplied lipstick onto my lips and shook her head.

"Athena, you really should stop licking your lips all the time. The lipstick's gonna fade faster than me putting olive oil on everything!" she chuckled.

"Auntie, I can't help it. It's not my fault the lipstick tastes like strawberry." I said as she rolled her eyes.

"Oh how I wish you'd never grow up. And here it is, wish granted. Now, I want you to grow up and become a lady. One who doesn't lick off her lipstick though."

Aunt Lydia and I laughed in her home before our doorbell rang and we both stopped. She put a hand to her mouth as her eyes widened.

"He's here?" she whispered as she motioned me to hide somewhere as she made her way to the door. I swung my hands in the air and whispered back, " I don't know, maybe the mailman?"

"What? He doesn't even come at 7pm! Athena, go hide behind the counter. Go go go!"

I did as she said and hid, peeking through a bit to see whatever my aunt's up to.

She opened the door and I couldn't see Owen yet but I heard his Mum speak to Aunt Lydia about something.
It went on for a few good minutes before I got called out to come out of hiding and finally, see Owen.

I shyly walked out and slowly made my way toward the door with my head down, suddenly self-conscious of how I look.

This is certainly NOT how I dress.

"Athena?" A familiar deep, English voice said. I let my eyes up from the floor to glance at the speaker who called my name in such a gorgeous fashion.

I can't help but smile as my heart beat faster than a gazelle and giddiness overwhelming me.

"Hey there." I answered, tucking back a fallen strand of hair behind my ear. Owen looked extremely handsome today. He wore a black suit, a blue button down and a crimson red tie. How his hair looked surprised me as it was not falling into his face this time. Instead, it was cleanly pulled back, a few wavy strands astray on his forehead. His icy, blue eyes were scanning me and I noticed him give me his crooked smile and it made my legs suddenly feel wobbly.