Chapter 36: During

Owen
"So basically, I bought tickets for the exhibition and the gala. Today's the first day so that explains the fancy gala shit." I explained to a mesmerized Athena as we entered the museum and handed over our tickets to the guard up front. Thank God this place has ramps.

We entered the exhibition floor in silence and I took the chance to stare at Athena. She really did look stunning today. Beautiful even with her mouth agape and her childish excitement.

"How did you know I like art?" she asked as we were ushered toward the hall with the Van Gogh. I smirked.

"Some little birdie whispered that you're an artist with a Starry Night ceiling in your room." I winked. Thanks Cal. I owe you one.

"I can't believe it. I can't believe it! Seriously, Van Gogh?" She emphasized, still in disbelief that I actually brought her here. I chuckled and just nodded.

"Yeah, yeah, Van Gogh. But I gotta tell you, Starry Night's not here since it's on permanent display in some museum in New York City. His other works are here though. Like, the not-so-famous ones." I shrugged as we made our way toward the first painting, press everywhere documenting this exhibition. Fancy people too were in attendance, their eyes lingering on me. Before their staring bugged me, I didn't mind them because there was no way I would let them ruin my night.

"Owen, oh shit, this is amazing. You never should've done this." Athena shook her head as she inhaled slowly and bit her lip as she stared at the first painting on display called Almond Blossoms.

"It's just a small thank-you gift for being my friend, that's all." I said as I, too stared at the painting. Another unsaid reason for taking her here is the validation on my part. I'm still so confused and if ever I felt that same warmth I feel everytime she's with me, well, I don't know what to do either.

"This is too much, Owen. I-"

"Athena, don't think too much, okay? Enjoy tonight. If you don't want this, I understand. I'll call Calix or Marley instead to feast their eyes upon rare artworks."

She stood with her hand covering her mouth, still in obvious disbelief. I found it rather cute.

"Okay, fine. I'll enjoy tonight. It's a once in a lifetime chance to see a Van Gogh painting after all." She said as she moved on to the next painting which was Van Gogh's self portrait of himself.

"Correction, paintings. Plural." I said, following her in front of the portrait. Once I catched up to her, she rolled her eyes.

"Smart-ass. Be quiet, I'm admiring the Van Gogh." she whispered, her huge brown eyes tracing the impressionistic lines the artist made onto the canvas.

"Whatever." I answered.

We stared and admired all the Van Gogh paintings in silence, quietly moving from one to another. Athena looked so mesmerized, a new interest sparking in her eyes as she gazed upon tens of paintings shipped in from different museums around the world.

We were in an hour and a half before we finished admiring the Van Gogh and it was time for dinner.

"I'm hungry. What's fancy food like anyway? Do they have gold in there or what?" Athena exclaimed as she happily skipped her way to the gala doors, older guests giving her the stink eye.

"Don't ask me, I've never eaten anything fancier than Italianni's."I said as Athena playfully nudged my arm and held my shoulder as we made our way. I suddenly feel warm again.

"To be fair, Italianni's is sorta fancy but not really fancy in a way. Also, I still can't seem to imagine what gold tastes like. Salty? Sweet? I guess we'll never know til we try it." Athena said as we arrived into the main function hall, a Starry Night themed room welcoming us with dark blue, yellow and white lights flashing and shiny stars of all shapes and sizes dancing above. It was beautiful.