Chapter 22

Owen

It had been a few days after Athena and I fell out and I was scared to admit that I might've been missing her a lot more than I thought.

Every passing day, I think of her. I don't want to keep thinking of her, but I can't stop it. Somehow, the image of her smiling face and the sound of her annoying laugh stops by my mind once in a while. And I actually missed it. I missed her.

Even at school, I can't help but think of her. I would be writing something my teacher said on my notebook, and when I look down, instead of writing an important term, I would write her name. God only knows how much correction tape or white-out I used to erase her name on my notes.

I also think of her when I pass by the park. And whenever I see a large dog because it reminded me of her dog. Mostly, I kept thinking of her whenever I study alone again in the bookstore because I can't help but think of the silhouette of the person who should've been with me that time. I even missed seeing her colorful highlighters, funky pens, and maroon backpack because Athena stuck so many pins on it, I doubt there was even a part of it that was regular.

Athena definitely wasn't like any other person I've met. She's extraordinary, though I don't like hearing myself admit that.

It was Saturday today and I didn't have a reason to go out. I was even home alone.

I was supposed to enjoy the weekend because I need to finish reading something and it was starting to drizzle outside. Rain was coming, and it was the perfect weather for staying in bed all day just to read. Or maybe just to drown myself in self-hate.

It could be both.

I was already settled in bed with a mug of coffee and a book, and even with the atmosphere set by the early beginnings of rain, I was distracted.

I still kept thinking of Athena and how terrible I was to her. I had been such a huge jerk to her all this time and she just kept up with me until she stopped.

I always thought Athena was this hyper, walking sunshine person and it was my fault I never guessed that she might have her problems too. Based on her reaction that day, her problems were bad. Real bad. I feel so horrible now I couldn't even read half a page. Or even a sentence. And my coffee was growing colder with every passing minute I stopped to think of her.

I stopped reading altogether and instead chose to sit back on my chair, and stare at something. I don't know exactly, but I was sure it was something that didn't remind me of Athena. Like a wall.

I sat on my chair and paced back and forth in my room. I rarely find myself restless, but I was right now.

I kept convincing myself that I disliked Athena yet I actually was starting to enjoy her company. Now that she sent herself out, I was desperate to have our routine back. As terrified as I am to admit it, I was desperate to have her back.

As a friend.

My hands were starting to feel weird and when I looked down, I didn't have my gloves on. I use them to avoid blisters and discomfort when pushing my chair, but I usually didn't wear them at home because I never had my hands feel weird before.

Now, they were starting to feel hot, so I went over to my drawer and fished them out so I could wear it. I usually wore these when I go out but now,

A thought popped into my head. An amazing one, I think.

I quickly took a few things I might need to bring outside and fixed them to make them look suitable. It was hard trying to part with something that was important to me, but I could always get another one of it soon.